Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra (Exynos 2100) has a TERRIBLE fingerprint sensor/scanner same as Note 10+

(Topic created on: 31-01-2021 03:11 PM)
fredphoesh
Navigator
Options

I am shocked and really sad about this. The fingerprint scanner on my brand new S21 Ultra IS TERRIBLE!!! See the YouTube video I made to show it took me about 100 tries to add my left thumb, then it failed. VERY BAD Samsung!!! https://youtu.be/4Mp8ECNUpgQ  

I have managed to scan 3 of my right hand fingers, and it almost never unlocks on first try, regardless of finger used, comparing with my Note10+, the poor performance is identical, so is the feel and way the scanner works, so I am sure they are the same scanner and am sure that the Exynos does DEFINITELY NOT have an ultra-sonic fingerprint scanner.

Maybe the Qualcomm version is great, but this is extremely disappointing and is the reason I returned my Galaxy S20, Galaxy Note 20 Ultra upgrades after a few days, and now it looks like I will be returning this phone. It is not a substantive upgrade on my Note10+ the same annoyances. 

80 REPLIES 80
The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

Great idea scanning the same fingerprint more than once. It definitely helped. 

It's really a shane though that on a flagship phone we have issues with a major component. 

I'm not sure if they can fix this with an update or if it will be a permanent problem because of inferior hardware. 

0 Likes
Jeffiscool
Pioneer
Options

I have the same thing, though only with my right hand index, with the left hand no problems, why? Because of the heavy use of alcohol based gel and several washing hands per day due to coronavirus pandemic....the tip of my finger is too soft and loosed the micro waves that make the fingerprints!

So it's not a problem of the phone itself but my skin 

0 Likes
TonyBrown
Student
Options

I have found a kind of workround that works for me, most of the time.  If I lick my finger before putting it on the sensor then 9 out ot 10 time it actually works. I do have very dry skin and I dont like using hand cream too much as it messes up my keyboard and just about everthing I touch. It does have one issue though. it does mean cleaning the screen every time to clean of the residue it leaves, even with a screen proctector.

Char90
First Poster
Options
I know I'm a bit late here but I'm experiencing the same problem! I've had two s21 ultra where by the finger print neeeverr works! Ut takes ages to configure then it doesn't work when trying to use it
0 Likes
AbuLeila
First Poster
Options
Yep got to agree the FP scanner is pointless, it rarely scans my prints. I use a note 10 at work, works everytime
0 Likes
KZilla
First Poster
Options

I have found that when you select battery power saving it reduces the sensitivity of the fingerprint sensor. Turn off power saving and it works as it should. Worked for me.

0 Likes
fredphoesh
Navigator
Options
I've always had power saving turned off.
0 Likes
Htown_Loki
First Poster
Options

I tend to agree with op. Deleted fingertips once.  Started fresh. 4 fingers.  Doesn't revving most of the time and i have to press extra hard. 

0 Likes
Mattwi71
First Poster
Options

I have just traded in my oneplus to get this phone and I agree the fingerprint sensor  is very badly implemented. Takes 3 or 4 attempts to work. very annoying considering the price....and nowhere near oneplus 7t ....a 2 year old plus phone at half the price at launch....

0 Likes
mcIovin
First Poster
Options

AMAZING! This worked

0 Likes