Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra (Exynos 2100) has a TERRIBLE fingerprint sensor/scanner same as Note 10+

(Topic created on: 22-04-2021 10:41 PM)
fredphoesh
Navigator
Options

I am shocked and really sad about this. The fingerprint scanner on my brand new S21 Ultra IS TERRIBLE!!! See the YouTube video I made to show it took me about 100 tries to add my left thumb, then it failed. VERY BAD Samsung!!! https://youtu.be/4Mp8ECNUpgQ  

I have managed to scan 3 of my right hand fingers, and it almost never unlocks on first try, regardless of finger used, comparing with my Note10+, the poor performance is identical, so is the feel and way the scanner works, so I am sure they are the same scanner and am sure that the Exynos does DEFINITELY NOT have an ultra-sonic fingerprint scanner.

Maybe the Qualcomm version is great, but this is extremely disappointing and is the reason I returned my Galaxy S20, Galaxy Note 20 Ultra upgrades after a few days, and now it looks like I will be returning this phone. It is not a substantive upgrade on my Note10+ the same annoyances. 

80 REPLIES 80
sadgeek
Apprentice
Options

After I had my third S21 Ultra I thought the fingerprint scanner problem must be something to do with me.  Having returned it and gone back to a Note 20 Ultra which works fine I can confirm that some of the Exynos S21 Ultras have serious problems with the sensor.

0 Likes
Brik01
First Poster
Options

Totally agree. I am having terrible experience with fingerprint scanner since day one! Very frustrating!

0 Likes
Epic1
First Poster
Options

Mine is the same, its like depends on the day. I disabled the fingerprint reader is useless. Im thinking about a replacement, is it worth or it's not? Depends on the day i cant even configure it, it works like 3/10 and in random moments.

Mine is the Exynos version.

0 Likes
Guy41
Navigator
Options

Mine has been working extremely well from day one. My S10+ was really actually only registering half my attempts but with the S21U I would say the success rate is well over 90%.

It is, however, extremely frustrating and shameful that a company of Samsung's magnitude has such poor QA/QC.

0 Likes
TonyBrown
Student
Options

I have the same problem with the fingerproint rec. My S10+ was perfect this is unusable.

0 Likes
Northstar
First Poster
Options
I'm in the UK and have the same issue. Fingerprint scanner just doesn't work
0 Likes
Farhat
First Poster
Options
Scaner fingerprint lock is rubbish never work
The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

Just found your post. 

I just bought a US Factory Unlocked S21 Ultra and it has the Qualcomm chip. 

The fingerprint sensor is JUNK. It almost never works on the first try. 

I came from a Note 9. The old fashioned back of the phone sensor worked flawlessly every time. 

I am thinking of sending the S21 Ultra back.  I can't deal with the under screen sensor that never works. 

I have my work email on this phone, so I can't risk security. The fingerprint sensor is horrible. 

0 Likes
fredphoesh
Navigator
Options
I have got it to be okay by scanning the same index finger several times and then being very careful how I place it. I can usually scan successfully first or second or maybe third time.

but it is far better than it was previously with the note20.
0 Likes
The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

Thanks for the Tip!  I'll try that. I have to say that I'm quite disturbed that I bought a $1,300 phone that has issues with the fingerprint sensor. 

0 Likes