Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra captures noctilucent clouds

(Topic created on: 19-06-2021 06:49 PM)
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
I was into astronomy and star gazing for some 30 years and in that time I never saw a rare phenomena called noctilucent clouds. These ultra rare glowing wispy clouds only occur at near space altitudes of about 200,000 ft and are made of tiny ice crystals formed from meteor dust particles and water vapour in extremely cold temperatures of around -130 degrees Celsius. 
 On late Spring and early Summer nights for some 30 years I would look out for these clouds longingly but to no avail. I had to give astronomy up when I got married and time was not my own. I said goodbye to my telescope (that had shown me incredible sights) and thought that was that with seeing the wonders of the sky. 
 Last night however my Wife and I waved family friends off from our house at about 11pm and as we walked back to our house I looked up and inhaled the fresh Summer like air and my heart genuinely missed a beat and my eyes bulged as all I could see overhead were haunting glowing wispy quite beautiful noctolucent clouds. I couldn't talk for ten seconds or so. My Wife knew what the moment meant to me and understood when I ran inside to grab my S21 Ultra and throw it into night mode and wide angle lens and take the shot below holding my phone so still through the 5 second time countdown. It did not let me down and captured better detail and light than my eyes did.

10 REPLIES 10
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Awesome 👌
Thank you for sharing
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You definitely know how to tell a story though. Well Done !!
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Great story and a perfect shot to remember your moment. 👍
Fiz7863
Voyager
Options
Love it 😀
StephK1
Options

This is amazing, @Babishko! So happy that you were able to see these unique clouds, and that you were able to get such a beautiful photo to capture the memory. 😀

Babishko
Hotshot
Options
Thank you StephK1!. I am sure that the clouds avoided me for thirty years until I had a decent cameraphone to capture them with!..🤣🤣.. Now that I have my S21 Ultra they will probably pop up for me every night now!.. 🤣🤣..👍👍
StephK1
Options

Maybe you're right there, I hope they continue to pose for the camera from now on! 🤣😅

Babishko
Hotshot
Options
I hope so... I don't fancy another thirty year wait before I see them again as my eyesight may not be too good by then!..🤣🤣👍👍
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Awesome @Babishko  so glad you were able to capture the moment  with the S21 Ultra 😀

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.