Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra camera - terrible quality

(Topic created on: 07-02-2021 03:06 PM)
JulianeM
Explorer
Options

Edit: After researching about it, the problem is on S21 Ultra on Europe version only, I bought mine in the UK and unfortunately received a device with an awful camera. I contacted Samsung that promised to contact in 1 week time to give me a video support but this never happened. I had no choice but to return the phone and ask the refund. I expected more from Samsung.

A detailed side by side on US x EU versions video: https://youtu.be/rsLJLk3nx8k

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really think my phone has a hardware problem is not possible that a phone ranked on top of pixel 5 and iPhone 12 max pro is not taking simple photos and videos indoor with good light, but that's what I'm experiencing. I tried to update the system and the camera configurations, but still the same thing:

• Photos: All modes are bad, normal photos are never focused, they don't have details even if I take a 108Mb on a static object like a bottle on top of my table 1 meter away, my old phone takes a incredible better photos. Also the portrait mode just blur the whole photo. The zoom takes photos with a veryyyyyy low resolution, looking more a abstract paint. Well I tried all modes, that's basically the problem present in all.
  • Videos: The videos don't have any stabilization, we see jumps on movements, problems on frame rate giving the feeling you are watching a stream in a low connection, and the focus and blur just changes randomly.

Here is some examples, first my daughter playing, in a very slight movement but as you can see all the static points are also blurry, and second photo a button with 100x zoom with focus locked and my arm supported by the table:

Portrait photoPortrait photo100x photo with focus locked100x photo with focus locked

132 REPLIES 132
JulianeM
Explorer
Options
yeah I just watched a video on YouTube comparing both versions, the US version is great
0 Likes
Darbis
Voyager
Options

I think if you are unhappy just give it back. No point of additional stress in these corona times. Hope Samsung can fix their problems. My nordic s21 ultra is fine. The camera can be better and battery too but in my case I trust Samsung will fix the issue.  Those returning their phones will be a lesson for Samsung 

0 Likes
Simmo71
Pathfinder
Options

20210207_184939.jpg

I seen a comment on Reddit earlier about 10x zoom, the user said they had to manually go past 14x to get the lense to kick in. I've tried and I need to go to 16x before mine kicks in, I can then dial it back to 15 before it switches again, here's 2 comparisons, one at 10x direct selection, the other at 15x sat in a dark room, lit only by TV and 2 small lamps, sat about 8-10ft from the picture. 

20210207_184955.jpg

0 Likes
fooladi
Apprentice
Options

all image on s21 ultra is bad veryyyy bad out of focus not sharp even with software update still there is big issue

mariopa
Journeyman
Options

I`m also unhappy. Camera (which is why I bought it over the regular S21) produces horrid images - the amount of sharpening is so much we couldn`t tell today what was on a photo and it was a waterfall.

And I believe we should really abandon Samsung devices - if they want money - use same chips everywhere. In the US they get the snapdragon which is better in about any way and also generous buy back offers. And here in Europe - clear discrimination.  If China ban is lifted and it will be one day, the Chinese flagships will trash Samsung really hard.

JulianeM
Explorer
Options
I agree, they don't take serious the market here I have no regrets returning it. I just feel sorry for Google not making a premium device for pixel 5, this make me feel without good Android options on top cameras and I really didn't want to switch for iOS, they charge a lot, but at least they always delivery quality
0 Likes
j123456789
Pathfinder
Options

The focus is not very reliable to be honest and the jpg noise reduction is too aggressive and make photo looks like oil painting at times.

20210204_075719.jpg

Simmo71
Pathfinder
Options

I just downloaded Open Camera and took a picture at 5x and then the same with standard Samsung camera, no prizes for guessing which one is which! 

IMG_20210208_185617.jpg

20210208_185649.jpg

wawpio
First Poster
Options

Guys does your camera overheat as well ? When I open camera app after 1-2 mins it heats up quite a lot and it drains battery very fast as well ? At this point I really regret I bought this phone. We are like beta testers but we pay them for that. 

0 Likes
mariopa
Journeyman
Options

Mine overheated and shut down but then it got an update claiming to improve camera performance, indeed its a quick & dirty fix for the overheating issue. Since then it still heats up a lot but not as much as it used to - I can now hold it, at least. This does not appear to affect the Snapdragon version but the monkey version for outside of USA/China only.

0 Likes