Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra Camera Issues

(Topic created on: 04-02-2021 10:27 AM)
lmedwards
Journeyman
Options

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but just had to join because I have been experiencing some really annoying issues with my brand new S21 Ultra's camera. I'm very familiar with each of the camera modules and what they're good for, however mine can't seem to use the right one at the right time.

It keeps choosing to use the 3x telephoto lense when I ask for 10x zoom, and often uses the 10x lense when I ask for 3x. The result is ridiculously grainy images that don't even compare to my Note 10+.  I have tried experimenting by covering up the camera lenses that I think it should be using at the time to prove that it's getting it wrong, and low and behold the image isn't covered up.

The annoying thing is, I can see the camera switching between the correct and incorrect modules if I tilt the camera towards different light. 

Members_d2qZ1vx_0-1611937415769.png

Has anyone else experienced this? Hopefully fixable with a software update but this is really affecting the quality of my images.

49 REPLIES 49
Vonumark
Explorer
Options

Hi i am in the same situation, 1500 eur  with a useless camera.  I have also a Huawei p20pro and it work better than my S21 Ultra..... unbelievable! ☹️

0 Likes
Guy41
Navigator
Options

Mine (s21 ultra) overheats quickly with the camera working and the camera also stutters and lags considerably (esp. in portrait and 108mp modes but also in normal mode). When it does work I don't have any problem switching between the 3x and 10x zoom lenses. Also I must say that coming from an s10+ the quality of the images (mainly details and dynamic range ) is excellent. I'm really not liking the fact that people have so many different complaint re s21 ultra days within its launch. Smells like a hardware issue unfortunately. 

0 Likes
Shannon L
First Poster
Options

After further testing, think it is just depends on the scenario and how we cover the lenses. Please see below.

0 Likes
Shannon L
First Poster
Options

Okay this is interesting. So I was doing the test indoors before and quickly putting the finger over. This then used a different lens as per thread. Though, when I hold it outside the window which is currently sunny the lens are chosen correctly. Bring it back indoors, doesn't. Will need to test on a cloudy day or night. However, when indoors if you slowly slide the finger over the lens then it looks to have chosen the correct one!

0 Likes
Members_vjvl3Hi
First Poster
Options

I assume that's mostly because of the Laser AF. It detects that you're indoors or maybe not far from some objects, and you don't need that specific camera. That's what I believe

0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
which lens is used, depends on the distance from subject.
0 Likes
Duckofdeath
Explorer
Options

All phones with optical image stabilisation can rattle. There are a lot of tiny "moving" parts in these types of mobile cameras.

0 Likes
Duckofdeath
Explorer
Options

I think I've seen on youtube reviews that it defaults to 3x zoom if it can't find a quick focus on the 10x. I am sure there will be a lot of tweaks on how the autofocus works between the leses.

The workaround is, I think, to find something bright/clear to focus on.

Members_fyZA6fi
Apprentice
Options

I have the same issue, and I could not find any proper workaround for this.

One method that might help is to point the camera to a bright (well lit) environment and wait for the phone to switch from digital to optical zoom. Afterwards, you lock the exposure (by pressing for 1-2 on screen). When you move then the camera to a low light environment it will keep the optical zoom. But you will lose the ability to refocus...

I hope they will fix this issue.

0 Likes
Ifoundasound
Explorer
Options

It's due to the amount of light which can reach the lens. The 10x has a very small F4.9 and so the software will default and digitally crop to either the 3x or the main lens as this should produce brighter results at the cost of detail. I wish there was a way to force the system to use the correct lens regardless of lighting conditions