Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra camera flickering/shaking when using 10x zoom and above

(Topic created on: 16-04-2022 10:32 AM)
MineralMan
Journeyman
Options
I've just noticed an issue with the camera zoom on my S21 Ultra since updating to One UI. The camera performs fine when using 0.6x, 1x, 3x and up to 9.9x. Once it hits 10x zoom (and anything above), the camera display shakes to the extent you can barely see the image, this happens for a video also (this is with phone on a non-moving surface to eliminate my movement). I've read of similar posts where it was suggested the image stabilisation was causing the problem but not found a solution. As this previously worked fine before the software update I'm sure it has to be linked, and not just hardware.

I've made sure all software is up to date, performed a soft rest, tried in safe mode, deleted camera cache + data and manually trying to fix the focus but all made no difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm placing my hopes on the next software update resolving the issue, as a last resort going via warranty but want to avoid that with the disruption of sending the phone away.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
It's the same on the Samsung galaxy s20 ultra after the new firmware update One UI 4.1
MineralMan
Journeyman
Options
I hope the issue is large enough for Samsung to recognise and implement a software fix if its effecting multiple platforms
0 Likes
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
Yes @MineralMan this all points to a software glitch in my opinion. You have done all you can to rectify this problem and are now in the boat of waiting for a software update that can remedy things. My Exynos S21 Ultra had the same problem when shooting video with the 10x telephoto lens when new which was eventually solved by a software update.. Then, following a later software update, it returned only to disappear again after the next update. My camera has now settled down and is performing brilliantly I must say and I use it hard and often.
I find that the Electronic Image Stabilization on my S21 Ultra works brilliantly when recording video through the wide angle lens in particular and I wonder if you have your EIS on or off when recording video using your 10x telephoto lens and does turning this on if it is currently off help things in any way for you?.. I would also recommend to not shy away from trying to work this issue through by repeatedly using your telephoto lens to record video and take pictures as I have heard that this 'tough love' approach can force problems through by forcing your camera to re-learn to perform as it should. I have had success using this approach when my camera has developed a focus problem on two separate occasions as opposed to just not using the camera and waiting for a corrective update.
The telephoto lens on the S21U is what really sets it apart camera wise and it is a real bummer when a problem occurs with it and I hope your issues are sorted for you as soon as possible. Good luck to you. 👍👍
MineralMan
Journeyman
Options
Yes I've tried switching the video stabilisation on and off to no great effect. Bizarrely after creating this post, I was able to record a video using the 10x tele lens perfectly for one occasion (photo still didn't work at 10x), to my surprise I tried the same again and it went straight back to the dreaded shake.

Completely agree the benefits that this camera can give are what made me gets the Ultra, its just such a shame this issue is effecting it, and I'm sure this is software related which is why I Dont want to go through te pain of sending my phone away just yet.
MineralMan
Journeyman
Options
To update on this, April software update now downloaded and installed. No change to 10x + camera zoom, it still shakes significantly the majority of the time. There are times it shakes less so that you can view an image, but it is not still, and no apparent link to the severity of the image shaking
MineralMan
Journeyman
Options
03/05 update, feedback from error report sent to samsung engineers via Members points to faulty camera unit, and as such, I've booked in for repair
Clevo
Pioneer
Options
Glad they got back to you, good luck with your repair!
MineralMan
Journeyman
Options
To close this off, a samsung engineer replaced all four cameras, and now it works fine. A positive repair experience as this was done at my home address in less than an hour, and didn't even require wiping the phone data which was a huge bonus, so, fair play to Samsung for providing this efficient home repair facility!
0 Likes