Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra Battery life really bad compared to all the youtube video review

(Topic created on: 22-01-2021 11:04 PM)
daribeiro
Pioneer
Options

So I bought the new S21 Ultra on the pre order the day it was announced. I was one of the lucky ones to get early so I could leave a review. 

Coming from a Note 10+ that I had for a year and a half, I was really excited for the S21 Ultra, but was really disappointed with the battery life. I've had the phone for 5 days now and since the very beginning I've not been able to use the phone for the whole day on a single charge. It's been giving me screen on times comparable to my Note 10+ (4/5 hours) which is a much older device, but I thought maybe this was the way all S21 ultra's were behaving, just not very good battery life.

BUT, yesterday all the youtubers started to publish they're videos comparing batteries with older S devices and Iphones and their S21s were doing amazing, giving them screen on times of up to 13 hours! 

I contacted support but they said this would be normal as my phone was still learning user patterns... but I'm not sure if that would affect it as bad as it is at the moment. 

What do you guys think? Should I send the phone back? I'm really concerned that I just spent all this money on a new phone for it to be so bad with battery. 

972 REPLIES 972
K Dimov
Helping Hand
Options

The quality of the camera is still bad. What I mean is the x3 and x10 zoom, especially the x10 zoom is often digital and really bad - for example:
Screenshot_20210227-114900_Camera.jpgScreenshot_20210227-114920_Camera.jpg

Focusing issues with the zoom x3 and x10 when taking video and low quality of video indoors - 4k@60fps , although when checking the bitrate it is quite good ~71Mbps.
One positive - the camera does not get that warm. Two videos of 3.40min and 3.50min and no heating up for me, although it eats the battery like a monster (to be expected I guess).

Current: S24 Ultra 512GB Titanium Violet | Old: S21 Ultra 256GB Phantom Black
Darbis
Voyager
Options

Try 3:4 not 16:9

0 Likes
K Dimov
Helping Hand
Options

@Darbis it seems to work somewhat better at 4:3, however, from what I just tested, it is either hardware or software issue when switching between the 3x and 10x lenses. If it's the former, we are all fuck3d as Samsung made another epic fail much like the focusing that was never fixed for the S20 series. In case of the latter, we may stand a chance. What I know though is that I will NOT be buying another Samsung phone. That one really did the PERIOD for me.

Ajs3
Pathfinder
Options

My situation at the moment. Installed the new update at about 80% yesterday.

Screenshot_20210302-172623_Device care.jpg

K Dimov
Helping Hand
Options

Looks good mate! Just get rid of that Chrome till they fix its horrible drain, jeez...

0 Likes
FirstTUserLongTFan
First Poster
Options

Pretty disappointed with mine tbh, nothing like the YouTube reviews

Screenshot_20210302-180037_Device care.jpg

0 Likes
Rakso01
First Poster
Options
Hi,

I have a theory about the S21 Ultra Accubattery information. In my opinion the accubattery information is correct. When the default battery capacity is adjusted to 5000 mAh (by default set to around 4800 which is the minimum manufacturing capacity) the battery is shown to be charging for only 88% of the total which is also what my S10 plus results showed. I think unlike Apple, Samsung is adding larger batteries but limits their charge capacity to extend the life of the battery as charging to 88% will massively improve long term charge capacity. If we assume that this 12% is also true for discharging, then about 24% of the total 5000 mAh is not available for use. Hence the total usable capacity is 76% of 5000 mAh or 3800 mAh. Comparable to Iphone 12 Pro Max capacity of 3678 mAh. Which probably explains why the two phones also have similar battery life and not because as some Tech YouTubers claim that the A14 is much more efficient.

To conclude, I think unlike apple, Samsung is prioritising long term battery health.
Darbis
Voyager
Options

I think that is true, my old note 8 still has excellent battery health

Darbis
Voyager
Options

I am finally happy with the camera and battery. It could very well be a hardware issue with some phones

0 Likes
Braindamage90
Explorer
Options

you used 40% battery with 3h sot. Youtube reviewers have worst results than yours, don't look at tests of 11h just browsing, they are not real usage, look at real usage reviews, there is plenty of video of notorious reviewers.
Your result is ok and better than most.
you can't use your phone for 24/48h and expect 11hours sot, it's simple math.
Chrome is a battery hog, use a different one; 1hour on twitter consumed 10% battery, do your math. 10 hour of twitter and you get 10 hour sot.