Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra Battery life really bad compared to all the youtube video review

(Topic created on: 22-01-2021 11:04 PM)
daribeiro
Pioneer
Options

So I bought the new S21 Ultra on the pre order the day it was announced. I was one of the lucky ones to get early so I could leave a review. 

Coming from a Note 10+ that I had for a year and a half, I was really excited for the S21 Ultra, but was really disappointed with the battery life. I've had the phone for 5 days now and since the very beginning I've not been able to use the phone for the whole day on a single charge. It's been giving me screen on times comparable to my Note 10+ (4/5 hours) which is a much older device, but I thought maybe this was the way all S21 ultra's were behaving, just not very good battery life.

BUT, yesterday all the youtubers started to publish they're videos comparing batteries with older S devices and Iphones and their S21s were doing amazing, giving them screen on times of up to 13 hours! 

I contacted support but they said this would be normal as my phone was still learning user patterns... but I'm not sure if that would affect it as bad as it is at the moment. 

What do you guys think? Should I send the phone back? I'm really concerned that I just spent all this money on a new phone for it to be so bad with battery. 

972 REPLIES 972
daribeiro
Pioneer
Options
it seems like everyone is having the same problem... do you think the devices they sent early are faulty? I just don't get it cause the battery life of these phones, even exynos, are having rave reviews for being so good and I just don't get it
0 Likes
Soertebeker
Student
Options

Yeah, it's weird. It's not only the english youtuber talking about the good battery. Also the German ones telling it's promising. I don't think the devices are faulty. Probably more a software issue and optimization problem? There a lot new components build in. Especially cpu and screen. Probably fixable, but I won't buy a smartphone for 1300 bucks in hope they gone fixe an issue, they didn't address yet. A colleague also bought the 21 ultra, I will compare it next week.  

daribeiro
Pioneer
Options
Defo compare it and come back to us. I'm really curious about this discrepancy between the tech community and just us average users.
RobertMarian
Pioneer
Options

I'm just hoping the software update i got after getting the phone broke something and the battery life youtube videos didn't have it, I don't want to return the phone and go back to my cracked s10 😞

Options

Bloke, I've had mine for two days and the battery life has been so *****. I'm thinking about returning it.  I've had 5 Samsung devices in the past, this is the worst battery life by far out of the box. 

daribeiro
Pioneer
Options
Seems like this is a general issue... SAME tho! I had S2, S4, S6 edge, S8+, Note 10+ and none of them were so bad out of the box. Got my Note when it came out and now it's still giving me better battery than the s21
Options

Mate same here. It's consistently overclocking and I don't even know why. Very disappointing 

smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

It is hard for anyone else to comment, agree or disagree with your experience, as we are all awaiting the actual release date.  

I can only assume as you have somehow managed to get S21 phones before the official release date of 29th Jan, that these phones are pre-release ?  Sent for reviewer feedback ?   Have you bought these with your own cash from a retail outlet ?  If so then your retailer is suspect of breaching the terms of the Samsung release date.    I also don't think you will get any support or warranty advice on this matter, as they are not even expected to be in the public domain yet...  🤔🤔🤔

At this point, all the online reviews that I have read are pointing towards a pretty decent battery experience for the S21 Ultra, and I don't expect that your experiences are a true reflection of the S21 Ultra performance.  Essentially, the pre-orders will start rolling out next Thursday... so my comments are purely on the basis that you seem to have these phones way earlier than anyone else.  

Maybe next week we might have a better picture when a lot more of these phones are out in the public, until then I will remain optimistic with my expectations of the S21 ultra.

As a caveat, I will also say that it is common with EVERY brand new phone release, that there are going to be teething problems, minor software bugs, possible battery issues, and a whole load of complaints to go alongside from consumers. 

Some of these problems can exist with all phones, but also can be something as simple as having re-synchronised apps (good and bad apps) from an old to new phone... and sometimes software compatibility issues can cause problems.

If battery concerns are a worry to you, then i would go back to factory default, synch contacts and essential personal information and re-install things like apps etc from a clean install from google play.     Thereby removing any uncertainty about compatibility issues with Android 11 / One UI3 and the new hardware. 

In my opinion, to pre-order a brand new release phone carries a little risk every year, that it is always possible that some issues can be present with immature software.   However, this comes with the territory, of being one of the first to handle and use a brand new phone, and these bugs will be fixed as soon as they are out in the public in bulk quantities.   I would expect a few software updates in coming months to address any initial bugs that are reported back. 

Kind regards

Smiley 😀

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
daribeiro
Pioneer
Options
I've preordered the S21 Ultra on Samsungs website. They sent to me earlier so I could write a review on the website as you can see on the screenshot. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it gets any better with time. Otherwise I'm sending it back

Screenshot_20210123-234028_Messages.jpg

Options

I have the same ***** battery , what is going on , only 4 hrs on screen all the YouTube guys battery from 8 to 10 hrs what should I do !!! , is that a software issue or what !?