Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra Battery life really bad compared to all the youtube video review

(Topic created on: 21-07-2021 02:39 PM)
daribeiro
Pioneer
Options

So I bought the new S21 Ultra on the pre order the day it was announced. I was one of the lucky ones to get early so I could leave a review. 

Coming from a Note 10+ that I had for a year and a half, I was really excited for the S21 Ultra, but was really disappointed with the battery life. I've had the phone for 5 days now and since the very beginning I've not been able to use the phone for the whole day on a single charge. It's been giving me screen on times comparable to my Note 10+ (4/5 hours) which is a much older device, but I thought maybe this was the way all S21 ultra's were behaving, just not very good battery life.

BUT, yesterday all the youtubers started to publish they're videos comparing batteries with older S devices and Iphones and their S21s were doing amazing, giving them screen on times of up to 13 hours! 

I contacted support but they said this would be normal as my phone was still learning user patterns... but I'm not sure if that would affect it as bad as it is at the moment. 

What do you guys think? Should I send the phone back? I'm really concerned that I just spent all this money on a new phone for it to be so bad with battery. 

972 REPLIES 972
LukaSam
Apprentice
Options

Got the same issue. I bought the Exynos S21 Ultra mostly for battery that seemed amazing on youtube reviews and got dissapointed. 3-5 hours of screen on time. Right now I am at 96% after using my phone for social midia for only 4 minutes! I preveously used S10 and S8 before that. None of those had excelent battery but they never did worse than my expectations. Not the case with this one. I even think those previous devices had better SOT and general battery lifetime. Of course it would be better if i turned on battery saving, turned on black mode and turned off AOD, but that's not the point when you buy such an expensive device Although everything else is amazing with this phone, I did not pay 1350€ (I've got 256gb one) to constantly think about how much I use it in order not to drain too much battery! The saddest thing is that I love Samsung devices and ecosystem, but seeing my friends with mid-range and low-end Xiaomi and Huawei phones having much better battery results makes me consider trying a phone from some other company next time (I've used only Samsung phones for 9 years now!)

Screenshot_20210720-054436_Device care.jpg

0 Likes
adamlee
Big Cheese
Options
The drain is quicker from 100% to 95% because the phone actually only charges to 93% of its actual capacity. I find once mine hits around 90% the drain is really slow. As long as you aren't doing a lot of walking because that then triggers the camera service wakelock.
0 Likes
Jauhari
Journeyman
Options

Oooh I see.. It's weird on my Device S21U, after 100 chargerd in two minutes already on 98% 😞

On others side, my iPhone 11 Pro Max, after said 100% it's keep 100% for long time (as long it's still idle) it's never happen on my S21U. Any clues?

0 Likes
adamlee
Big Cheese
Options
S21U only charges to 93% of its actual capacity. So they drain quicker from 100%
0 Likes
adamlee
Big Cheese
Options
iPhone battery % isn't accurate. It stays on 100% for a while when it actually isn't.
0 Likes
LukaSam
Apprentice
Options

I need to explain myself since lots of people got me wrong. I only used 100-96% as an example, but battery life is just as bad at any percentage, which is my point. Today, for instsnce, I used it for about 2 hours with 28 minutes of SOT an battery lost 16%! (Went from 37% to 21% in period from 9AM to 11AM)

0 Likes
Juan greenfield
Pathfinder
Options

Hi @LukaSam, I had the same problem, and with time the battery settled down, but one main thing I turned off that was draining my battery very fast was the option of "VoLTE calls" in the Conection > Mobile Networks area, when this option was on my battery would drain from 100 to 80 in about 1 hour, when I turned that off I can easily get 2,3 or more hours to reduce 20% while using the phone.

When it was turend on over night with the phone sleeping it will consumed around 15 to 20% when I yurned that off just consumed 2 to 3 % over night.

I don't  know the science behind this issue because in my previous phones that was non existing, but I guess with this phone is constantly searching for that signal.

I personally haven't seen any issues on my calls whit that turned off, and if you need that you can always turn that back on for a call and turned that off again, I never had an issue.

Juan greenfield
Pathfinder
Options

Before:

1 week.jpg

 After: 

Screenshot_20210317-153304_Device care.jpg

0 Likes
Mtm1401
Navigator
Options
iPhones artificially stay on 100% and then drain faster after that point.
LukaSam
Apprentice
Options

Thank you very much sir!

I will definitely try doing so and share the results afret a few days.

0 Likes