Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra Battery life really bad compared to all the youtube video review

(Topic created on: 22-01-2021 11:11 PM)
daribeiro
Pioneer
Options

So I bought the new S21 Ultra on the pre order the day it was announced. I was one of the lucky ones to get early so I could leave a review. 

Coming from a Note 10+ that I had for a year and a half, I was really excited for the S21 Ultra, but was really disappointed with the battery life. I've had the phone for 5 days now and since the very beginning I've not been able to use the phone for the whole day on a single charge. It's been giving me screen on times comparable to my Note 10+ (4/5 hours) which is a much older device, but I thought maybe this was the way all S21 ultra's were behaving, just not very good battery life.

BUT, yesterday all the youtubers started to publish they're videos comparing batteries with older S devices and Iphones and their S21s were doing amazing, giving them screen on times of up to 13 hours! 

I contacted support but they said this would be normal as my phone was still learning user patterns... but I'm not sure if that would affect it as bad as it is at the moment. 

What do you guys think? Should I send the phone back? I'm really concerned that I just spent all this money on a new phone for it to be so bad with battery. 

972 REPLIES 972
daribeiro
Pioneer
Options
Also, I installed accubattery which is not 100% reliable but compared it to my note 10+ and it seems that battery health is even lower that my Note (95%)! Which I've had for a year and a half!!!

Screenshot_20210122-230749_Device care.jpg

Screenshot_20210122-230813_AccuBattery.jpg

DC30307
First Poster
Options

What's your app power usage?  I've seen some reports that SmartThings is having really high battery drain on the S21u.

daribeiro
Pioneer
Options
don't think that is the problem. it's now showing on the list

Screenshot_20210123-001727_Device care.jpg

Jimo2020
Navigator
Options
I always take YouTube reviews regarding battery life with a big punch of salt. Mrwhostheboss does a good battery comparison and got 8 hours 45 out of the S21 Ultra. Most of the reviews however don't have the apps installed that end users do like smart home apps, banking apps, etc etc which all tend to use battery in the background. If battery life ends up poor, I'll just return the phone. Further, reports are starting to come out out the Exoynos chips GPU performance is 10% lower than the new Snapdragon 888.. so again Samsung is shafting those of us outside of the US. I'm waiting for the battery comparisons of those chips...
daribeiro
Pioneer
Options
Yeah I saw Mrwhosetheboss video. His comparison was with the same model that I have, the Exynos variant. But compared to his device I'm getting half of the screen on time that he did. about 4 hours. Tested yesterday. charged my phone and took it out of the charger at 10:30 am. as you can see on the screenshot by 11pm I had 10% battery
0 Likes
Maria_vm
Troubleshooter
Options
If its been 5 days its still fairly new so give it a few more days to really understand how you use the phone and it will work better.
If it is still having issues, maybe try disabling fast charging when you are charging it from dead to 100%. I know this is a pain but honestly, I did it even tho I wasnt having problems with my phone, now I get exactly the same usage out of my phone as I did when it used power saving mide before I stopped using fast charging. Hope this helps
RobertMarian
Pioneer
Options

I'm sufferint the same issue on my exynos S21 Ultra, when i touch the phone, no matter what it's always a bit warm to the touch, but i can't figure what is using so much power, i put a lot of apps to sleep and deep sleep, i also factory resetted the phone, no change, the only thing that i believe could be the problem would be the 1 GB update after i got my phone, I'll keep using it for a few days and if nothing changes I'll return it. 

daribeiro
Pioneer
Options
that's exactly the same as me! always a bit warm even when doing simple tasks! I've done all of that as well. Hopefully I'll get better. let me know if yours gets better!
Soertebeker
Student
Options

I have the same issue. I received the S21 Ultra this week and my battery doesn't even last 5 h (SOT). I coming from a huawei mate 20 and I'm really disappointed so far, regarding battery life. Btw I have the exynos version. We'll see, if this isn't getting better by the end of the week, I will probably send it back.