Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra Back Panel

(Topic created on: 09-07-2021 09:45 PM)
Colshie
Navigator
Options
Anyone else confused by the back panel on the S21 Ultra. Mine feels like plastic and certainly not the same quality feel as my S10+ which is clearly glass. 
21 REPLIES 21
Dan3030
Apprentice
Options

Anyone confirm that the exclusive colours also use glass back?

I got the phantom navy one and it definitely doesn't feel like glass

Dan3030
Apprentice
Options

I was just told that "I would want to inform you that the material would be same but they are just varied in the colours." and on the website it says "Designed to scratch less and protect both front and back, this is the toughest Gorilla Glass yet in a Galaxy smartphone."

Based on that it is glass, but mine surely feels like plastic and I don't have the original colours to compare with.

mocerad
Explorer
Options

Gorilla Glass is made from chemically strengthened alkali-aluminosilicate. The product's strength is a result of the ion exchange process the glass undergoes during manufacturing. Once the glass has been manufactured, it is dipped in a bath of molten salt. Yes, it is glass, but feels more like plastic... 😕

mocerad
Explorer
Options

I liked more ceramic back on Galaxy S10+, which really felt premium and sturdy, but  Gorilla Glass Invictus is probably more resistant but feels more plasticky...

0 Likes
OliCollins
First Poster
Options
This is a proper weird effect. I'm pretty sure glass is a lot cooler and solid than this feels. The bit that makes me think twice is the sound of it when you tap it. It literally sounds like thin plastic, not solid glass. I'm not saying it is or isn't as I've never had this on a phone before but it certainly does a good job of pretending to be plastic if it is indeed glass.
Jacko77
Student
Options

Got my s 21 ultra yesterday and I'm shocked at how plastic it feels ? Also it sounds like something  is loose if you shake it gently , although  this is probably  something  to do with the camera optics .....

davehorne
Troubleshooter
Options

The only time I see the back of my phone is typically when I sell it as it's always in a case.

Watch4 Classic
Galaxy S24 Ultra / 512 GB / Microsoft Launcher / Spigen Thin Fit case
WelshPaul
Troubleshooter
Options

I prefer a good quality plastic over glass back any day of the week!

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung iPhone user.

Current Devices:
  • iPhone 14 Pro 256GB Deep Purple
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
Gman1707
Pioneer
Options
I'm sending mine back as feels cheap Al looks like it's not premium phone. Stick with my note 20
GordM
Student
Options

Your question was a long time ago, but the phone does vibrate when you pick it up if you have any notifications

0 Likes