Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra 512gb EXY owners please assist.

(Topic created on: 05-03-2021 10:28 AM)
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
Hi guys,

As you may be aware I've had tonnes of issues with my 3 new S21U models all 512/16gb models and have been through it all with you. 

I'm in need of some second opinions on benchmarking as literally all reviewers are getting fanstastic scores on their devices.

Mine , fresh factory reset, 1 week old and only 1 app installed (Geek Bench 5) the best scores I get regardless of settings are 

Single core 812
Multi core 2854

Most of the time it sits around 
Single core 650-700
Multi core 2500-2600

I was wondering if owners of the same size models could run a geek bench test for me so I can compare them with my 3 and potentially let Samsung know what is going on for us and get a solution faster.

Thanks in advance all.
47 REPLIES 47
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Just ran mine to see, I get 1062, 3372. It's pretty much very temperature dependent, as throttling will typically vary the results. Personally find these results somewhat meaningless as they vary way too much to any consistency on any single device. Doubt Samsung (or should they) be concerned with these numbers.
0 Likes
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
you're absolutely correct , but it won't hurt knowing with the sheer amount of other issues, I can't even get those scores on a ice cold version.

do you happen to know the current temperature of your device?
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
right now a 35C
0 Likes
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
here's my test at 37.1° C done just now

Screenshot_20210305-100615_Geekbench 5_6363.jpg

0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

These processor benchmarks can be quite arbitrary.  It is also important to ensure nothing else is taking part in the background and using up CPU... i.e. apps updating, virus scanning etc.      

I have found best results in these tests, when I have ensured I have optimised in device care to close down any background apps and then leave the phone idle for 10 minutes to precede the test.  I have also previously checked that in both stores there are not a list of apps awaiting any update... so everything is all up to date. The same goes for the 3D mark tests.  

As my phone has just been sitting beside me without doing anything for the past half hour, I have just run a test and got 1103 / 3303 for single and multi core.  This is with the newest AUBB update from yesterday.  

If I run another test straight after however, then the results change and the CPU is still recovering... 1074/3225.  Not far off that above, but slightly worse.  I think if you run the test 5 times...you get 5 varying results.

Also previous releases where I guess Samsung were dabbling a bit with optimisations in AUB3 and AUB6 did get worse and then better again. One of the releases I remember i could not get better than about 800 / 2900 after trying quite a few times.  

For me, I have used these benchmarks for 3Dmark and Geekbench to check between the new releases each time a new one is issued, but my opinion with these benchmarks is to take the results lightly.   

The more important is the user experience during video and gaming... and i have played through" Geforce Now" some of my AAA titles for 30 to 60 minute periods without any lagging or issues at all... generally giving exceptional performance for a phone handset. 

I typically like to run the 3D mark stress test through 20 loops when a new release comes out.  This is intensive stress testing, but gives a good analysis of the temp and start and finish, gives FPS, temp and a benchmark score for each loop, and you can see where the temperature throttling starts.   I also take my phone out of case for this test, so that after half way I can feel the temperature to the case of the phone.   It does get significantly warm, but at approx 44 to 45C then the CPU will throttle back in performance to manage the temps and not exceed safe levels.   

Smiley

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
What settings do you have on, power saving? Enhanced processing?

For reference I have neither on.
0 Likes
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
that's why I'm wanting to see the different results, my device is as clean and optimised as it can be and at a temperature of 37 I see the results above, I chose Geekbench as it has been the most shown from my research and added to the list of current issues I thought it a good idea to gather more data.

I'd really like to avoid sending my devices back but if I see such a difference on a clean optimised device Vs someone who might not and just ran a random test 2 degrees lower? it doesn't add up to me.

I have to agree with you on most of it but I did just that , ran 5 tests back to back to stress it out a bit and I got almost identical results and a temperature increas from 34 to 38C I would find it extremely odd if the CPU is being throttled that much under these conditions and temperature .

thanks smiley, always love reading your replies 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
cleared all background app before I ran the test

Screenshot_20210305-102357_Geekbench 5.jpg

Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
no power saving at all, all max performance during these test, including enhanced performance on 3 and without on 2, still identical results.

the device is fully optimised, clean install no updates pending etc etc.

it should for all intents and purposes be the ideal testing scenario.

Vsy partners device same model, size etc, she's seeing the same same results (30-50 above on scores across all tests) with no optimisation and settings all at whatever she prefers.

last device is my daughter and that one... well... it's packed full of social media and God knows what else lol, but the result is the same (which id expect from hers being abused 24hrs a day lol)
0 Likes