Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra 512gb battery concerns

(Topic created on: 28-02-2021 02:57 PM)
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
My family in the past week have between Monday and Saturday purchased 3x S21-U 512gb/16gb models which are all showing ALARMING battery issues.

Even after a few days with very light use and proper management of charging and settings to accommodate, at light use(browsing a little news on chrome, watching light video and playing a game for 10 to 20mins ) the batteries on all 3 drains 50% in 90 to 150 minutes with low refresh rate, low screen resolution, no wireless communication on except WiFi.

Heat? The phones all overheat after 5 to 30 mins of use regardless of task or performance settings and mostly ask you to stop using the device or point blank shut everything down for you.

All 3 phones show in 5 different battery apps after 3 days (2 days on newest one)similar concerns, the 5000mAh promised with a minimum of 4855mAh only Contains 4399mAh and show a life of 89-91% health between all 3. They are all between 2 and 7 days old.

None of this makes sense and samsungs best answer via chat was to replace all 3 via retailers? 

Are you serious? Nearly 4000 pounds of hardware from completely different places and batches? This is a design or software flaw.

Some sort of communication from Samsung would be nice to set expectations or if a permanent switch to another manufacturer is needed due to poor quality of such a pricey device and one launched less than 6 weeks ago.

Lastly I'd like to point out, this isn't just our 3, it's happening on 8 different friends phones same models ranging in sizes only between 256gb and 512gb.

That's 11 models from wildly different areas, production batches etc.

Samsung, you can't excuse this as a single batch of defective units and this is all over the Web and social media with what I can assume so far is more than 80% of buyers currently having severe issues with the above. 

Be cautious when buying these until you can see the market responding to the updates coming.
46 REPLIES 46
Tanya1991
First Poster
Options
I've had the exact same issues with battery draining really quickly and also the overheat. the latest update solved the overheating issue however the battery life seems poor
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
I've updated 2 of them to the latest update to see a comparison as my understanding was the overheating would be fixed, if anything though it seems worse and yes, battery life is horrific.

if I turn on 5G, FHD and 120hz refresh rate my phones are dead within 2 to 2.5 regardless of use (unless left in a pocket without touching it at all) its insane for a 1300 pound device.

edit; a like on the issue would be amazing as we can raise the attention to samsung. something needs done about this or they should recall the lot.
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
can I ask how you prepared them after receiving them? Did you reload all your previous phone data with smartswitch app ?

I had horrible battery for a while... read some comments and advice. I then factory reset my phone and did not synchronise my old data.

it is a pain in the butt... but I took contacts and calendar from Google sync, and installed all my apps again... individually from the Google store.

since then... my S21 ultra has been a different phone. I now get around 6 to 7 hours SoT and a much cleaner phone.

a lot of the battery drain issues come from incompatibility between previous installed apps on android 10... being synchronised to android 11.

it is definately worth your time trying this, with at least one of the three phones.
- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
sarasphotobox
Hotshot
Options
trust me phonenix I feel the same. I have S10+ and seriously when I had one UI or one UI 2.0 no issues even on Android 10 was superb. However since Android 11 especially One UI 3.0 has been a nightmare. Even doing power saving mode,putting apps in deep sleep/ sleep still drops battery. So I took it off charger 27/02/21 11;40pm now 28/02/21 15:01 it's 37% and I haven't even used intensive usage . It's insane
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
for info... this is a post that I made a couple of weeks ago.

it is definately worth a read if nothing else and explains my experience.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/for-all-the-users-suffering-battery-life-issue...
- Smiley

Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
hey, thanks for the reply.

I tried both ways myself on all, I always try and use smart switch or a similar way to restore my phone however this time neither worked on either update 😞 (Feb vs prior)

I'm currently running a clean factory reset with 5 apps installed and nothing restored, so far I have 2 hours 46 mins SoT and 18% battery left, started at 100

Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
Jesus, yeah same here, my S10, S20U and A90 had none of these problems.

samsung has acknowledged the problem publicly but at the same time tries to fob it off as a defe time unit (all 3 of mine and 8 friends.. sure lol)

I can be unlucky granted. but not that badly 😆
0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
ok perhaps my methods will not apply in your case then.

what does the battery analysis show in the usage ? I have seen stories of others having 25% usage dominated by Google services or other random background tasks.

this is mine right now. low usage day so far... but I still have 72% battery with 2 hours of usage... browsing social media mainly.

typically the clean install approach really helped me as per my attached article.

i am sorry you seem to have a worsened problem.

Screenshot_20210228-150925_Device care.jpg

- Smiley

0 Likes
sarasphotobox
Hotshot
Options
they fob if off cos they they they cok up big time when it comes to a ru
she'd one UI 🤣🤣 even iOS don't rush. But I prefer Samsung cos of flexibility. No software is perfect but I think samsung needs to fix one UI 3.0 asapp
0 Likes