Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Series Brief Pop Up

(Topic created on: 04-01-2022 08:24 PM)
OriginalBlackStarGH
Journeyman
Options
I have recently upgraded from Galaxy S7 to S21+. I started my Samsung journey with the D500 and have owed models like the S3 and S5. I must say the 21 series are great though there is a minor floor that I wouldn't have expected. 

See below:

The 21 series doesn't have led indicators, though the 'brief pop up' is an amazing replacement. It has a major floor for me.
When receiving a WhatsApp or text message it pops up with the recipients name and a preview of the message. It doesnt offer the security of simply alerting you visually without displaying the recipient and message preview. If I'm screen mirroring my phone in a public domain for example it is not ideal. Currently the only way around this is switching off 'high priority notifications' on WhatsApp and text messages from popping up. This leaves me unable to use the 'brief pop up' feature and its amazing effects. Ideally it would be better if it pops up with for example 'WhatsApp' or 'Message' for texting with the effects, as I can preview the message in the notification panel at my own leisure. It is disappointing that I cannot use the 'brief pop up' as I please. Maybe this is something that can be considered when developing future system updates? I am only a few days into the use of my 21+ and so far this is the only floor. I doubt there will be any more.

Thanks for reading!
17 REPLIES 17
INTRASERVER
Pathfinder
Options
Hello, I can understand your concern, but there are some apps like AODNotify or something else which simulates like led. It isn't perfect but ot does. I'm not using any of them. Because I see most from lock screen what I was missing.
So if I'm correct you want to see almost fully readable or hide whatspp notification in the lock screen. If yes then you can do this.

Hide WhatsApp Messages on Lock Screen on Android Phones and Tablets

These are steps which you can follow on to hide message summary of WhatsApp Messenger on Lock Screen:

1-) Go to settings of your phone or Tablet.

2-) Tap on Apps. (Sometimes it can be “Applications” on some devices.

3-) Tap on App Manager. (It doesn’t exist on some devices. If it doesn’t also exist on your device, please ignore this step.)

4-) Tap on WhatsApp.

5-) Tap on Notifications.

6-) Tap on “On lock screen”

7-) A menu will appear on your phone screen. Tap on “Hide Content” or “Do not Show Notifications”

Summary of steps:

Settings > Apps > WhatsApp > Notifications > On Lock Screen > Hide Content / Do not Show Notifications
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
0 Likes
OriginalBlackStarGH
Journeyman
Options
Thanks for your input. My concern is in regards to the screen when unlocked. I have spoken to someone at Samsung who suggested I should post about it so it can potentially be developed for the 21 series as it was on the S7 model previously. If you have a way around this your advice will be appreciated.
0 Likes
Ksmy89
Troubleshooter
Options
I would suggest using do not disturb feature if you are mirroring your screen in a public area and don't want messages to be seen. This could be a fix for now but hopefully a possibly better resolution can be developed by Samsung.
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
I have notifications set to private, when a text comes in for example, I simply get a small envelope symbol on the top row, no detail of who the text is from or the detail.

I have an S21 Ultra.

It is in settings
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Go to:

Settings
Notifications
Do Not Disturb
Hide Notifications

Under When the Screen is On, select Hide Pop up Notifications.

Whenever the screen is on, you'll get a notification alert such as sound or vibrate if that is how you've set your device but you'll only get an icon at the top to tell you that you have a message (i.e. for sms, WhatsApp, email etc)

What you need is there, you simply need to find it 👍👍
0 Likes
OriginalBlackStarGH
Journeyman
Options
Thanks, for your input. I have tried this but ots not completely what I'm after as brief pop up is deativated as a result. I don't mind the pop up, I just don't want the details of the pop up to be displayed i.e. recipient(s) and message content.
I'd like the brief pop up to function with it effects without the information displaying.
Imagine your showing someone picture or media on your 21 series device and then a personal message pops up with the recipient and message preview at the top. Though it brief it goes against privacy if displaying my screen to someone else.
Your advice is appreciated nevertheless. 👍
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
It does give you a pop up.

Either an SMS icon, WhatsApp icon or similar....
0 Likes
OriginalBlackStarGH
Journeyman
Options
Can you explain further pls..
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
I'm not sure how clearer I can be.

If you follow the steps I said above, whenever you get a text you'll get a notification (if you've got them turned on, i.e. a sound or vibration) and an SMS icon on the top row of your screen. It won't say who sent it or any of the detail. You have to go into the SMS messages to do that.

Same with WhatsApp, except the icon is different, it is WhatsApp's own icon but the message is not displayed nor is the sender.

If that isn't what you are after, I'm not sure what your ask is. I also had an S7 (Edge) in the past and had it set up in the same way.
0 Likes