Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

s21 poor signal strength

(Topic created on: 25-02-2021 08:45 PM)
mozzy
Pioneer
Options
I've just upgraded to the s21 from the s10. Problem is that I now only get 1 bar showing on the signal strength most of the time (including home). On the s10 it was on 3 bars most of the time using the same network and SIM. If I swap the SIM card back to the s10 I get 3 bars showing again 

I have tried resetting the network, a hard reboot, changing to SIM tray 2 but all to no avail. Anyone else experienced this/any ideas or is this device faulty??

191 REPLIES 191
Aklima
Big Cheese
Options
Hi,
I have s21 and I upgraded from s10e. I anit facing any network bar issue. Maybe try contacting ur network provider.
0 Likes
mozzy
Pioneer
Options
But how can there be a problem with the network if I still get 3 bars when I pop the same SIM card back into my old phone. Surely it must be down to an issue with the s21?
ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Mobile phone signal bars are meaningless as there is no industry standard for them. Even different models of phone by the same manufacturer can display different bars. See video...

The way to see your signal strength is by going to...

Settings > About phone > Status information > SIM card status > Signal strength

The lower the -dBm and the higher the asu, generally speaking, the better

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My device... Galaxy Z Fold5 5G 12/512GB (G946B D/S) CSC EUX. Android 14. One UI 6.1
adamlee
Big Cheese
Options
do what this guy said and screen shot the dBm on both and upload so we can see the results.
drDazzler
First Poster
Options
maybe your old sim cars doesn't support 5g? just a thought as I had a similar issue that was resolved by swapping my number to the new sim that came with the phone..
0 Likes
mozzy
Pioneer
Options
Ok, sounds promising, thank you very much for your input. There's not a lot in it by the look of it. S10 on the left, S21 on the right

Screenshot_20210225-212405_Settings.jpg

20210225_213038_9047.jpg

mozzy
Pioneer
Options
Sorry, got that the wrong way round.. S21 on the left! 🙄
0 Likes
SmallFish
Helping Hand
Options
That's quite a difference in signal strength for a 4G connection to be honest.

I fear the S21 modem is inferior - see my previous thread here:
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/4g-performance-on-exynos-s21-ultra-is-waaayyy-...

Real life tests with my old S10+ vs S21 confirm that the S21 is inconsistent but in the right (not far from a tower) condition can perform better.

I notice that Samsung are messing about with various things on the S21 and generally not getting it right...

There's a chance this may improve with later firmwares but it may not.

Interesting to see that some people using WiFi6 with the S21 are also noticing disparities and poorer performance.

It needs us all raise these issues through Error Reports in the Members app and clearly providing data that they can't shrug off so easily.

Sadly, I note most of my fault reports are resulting in "NAR" type responses - No Action Required!!! 😞
mozzy
Pioneer
Options
Thanks SmallFish, interesting article and have added my two pennies worth to it.

It's a shame, with all the research I've done on the s21 before buying..(making sure I avoided the overheating and battery issues) this somehow passed me by! 😦