Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[S21] Overheating/Battery issues

(Topic created on: 08-02-2021 12:20 PM)
Syferius
Apprentice
Options

Hello everyone,

I received my S21 on Monday and transferred all data from my S8 + via SmartSwitch. I immediately noticed concerns of overheating for no reason (during light use) and a battery that drains abnormally quickly. Even restoring it to factory settings, the problem persisted. So I had it returned via my reseller who provided me with a new one. I did not restore my old S8 + settings but only photos, videos and music via Smartswitch on PC. My current S21 heats up rather less than the other (but there is still this problem) and the battery seems to go down much faster than what I read on the internet (almost 10 hours on 60Hz). I see my percentages dropping almost per minute ... So I optimized the battery as much as possible which I find abhorrent to pay for such an expensive smartphone and not be able to take advantage of its great features and that's it... the problematic. I hesitate between getting a refund for acquiring a Pixel 5 that would match the current configuration of my S21 with a much longer battery life or waiting in the hope of a miraculous patch with the risk of losing my refund possibility.

I would just like to have opinions because I always had Samsung phones but, there, it makes me a little afraid to bet on a possible patch.

10 REPLIES 10
John19691969
Hotshot
Options
I sent my S21 ultra back after 5 days of major overheating on my phone to samsung for a full refund im going to wait and see what happens . if they sort out the heating problem will buy again in a few months. I did not want the refund policy to expire as all they would have done after is repair it ..I know not everyone is getting the over heating problem but alot are so i didn't want to take the chance at the moment for a £1329 phone
SK00S21Ultra
Pioneer
Options
My S21 Ultra is also heating up with camera use, I'm gonna send it back and get the Snapdragon version from the US or perhaps wait for iPhone 13. I'm fed up with this Exynos drama
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I always start my phones from fresh, no transfers nothing, and initially the phone would get warm(not hot like some people) but now is a lot cooler after I have had an update after day 2 . Also I had updated all my apps both form samsung store and play store.
Syferius
Apprentice
Options

Thank you for your answers, even if we should do a fresh start it is still unacceptable that it provokes this kind of reaction (for the price of the phone even if it is a new series, it happens to me twice in a row !) , and it is true that by having just transferred my media the overheating is reduced but the battery remains a problem. I am going to ask for a refund and get me a Huawei P30 Pro 2020 rather than the Pixel 5 and S21, I think this is the wiser decision thanks again for your reviews !

A little disappointed with Samsung which does not communicate anything about this and does nothing to reassure customers.

0 Likes
Brad2607
Pioneer
Options

I also have the issue of overheating, as yet I haven't tried factory reset.

The idea of having sign everything back in again is...painful.

Rik07
Pioneer
Options
I'm also debating whether to send the phone back, the over heating issue is clearly a big problem (my phone overheats after 10 minutes of using the multi-window)
Rik07
Pioneer
Options

Samsung just told me "We are unaware of any issue related to this".....despite many people reporting it on forums and to them directly

John19691969
Hotshot
Options
too many people around the world have same issue..just rung samsung to see where my refund is and is due this week , and even samsung customer services agent said so many people are returning the S21 series phone with same over heating problem ...even samsung customer service agent said he would not take the chance on it..they are sending returns reports to samsung top management and all are overheating reports this was said to me by samsung customer services agent on the phone he also said there not sure yet if hardware issue or software..To be fair I was shocked at the agent from Samsung admitting there is a problem..not just we've heard nothing about heating problem as you would normally get from them
Syferius
Apprentice
Options

Hi guys,

I tried to get a refund as I said in my previous post but the reseller wouldn't take it and "wouldn't have been successful" in reaching Samsung tech service but customer service told him that 'They know the concern that it is enough to do a factory reset and avoid putting your previous Google account which could bring settings from old devices and therefore cause overheating and battery failure. That moreover a patch had been deployed and that it would be put directly after the reset. Of course, these were solutions that I had already tried and this new patch apparently does not exist, they are surely talking about the update of February 1 which does not concern these concerns. I have also had feedback from Samsung customer service that they are not aware of this issue and no one is complaining about it. I still tried resetting my phone for the umpteenth time and created a new google account to link it to (the settings at least) and I have to say that it is a little better almost no overheating and the battery seems to be draining less quickly even if the autonomy remains disappointing.

If anyone ever wants to try, to do a factory reset (having previously deleted the data from your accounts via the settings), just press the lock button and the volume down until the screen darkens then keep the lock button pressed, this time pressing the volume up button. You just have to navigate the menu with the volume buttons and validate with the lock button.

0 Likes