Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

S21+ how to transfer files to/from Windows 10 computer?

(Topic created on: 04-08-2021 01:54 PM)
elverdiblanco
Journeyman
Options

With every other Android device I have used, plugging in a usb cable and connecting it to a computer the Android device has popped up a menu asking if I want to charge the device or transfer files.

With the S21+ all I'm getting is a notification that the device is being charged and no option for file transfer, nor does the S21+ show up in Windows file explorer. How can I get the option to transfer files to show when connecting the S21+ to a computer with a USB cable?

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Do you have Samsung USB drivers installed on your PC? It will need these to recognise the phone. Also, you can change the default action of charging through developer options.
ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

First and foremost, ensure that you have installed the latest version of Samsung's PC suite, Smart Switch, as this contains the latest drivers for your device. See...

https://www.samsung.com/uk/apps/smart-switch/?CID=afl-ecomm-cjn-cha-092118-53018&cjevent=987bbd6ae7a...

Also, you could enable, "Developer options", on your device, (see video below), and in, "Default USB configuration", select your preferred, initial, mode when connecting via USB, (see screenshot).

USB CONFIGURATION_Settings.png

[Edit] Drat! Ninja'd by @Pugs1957 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My device... Galaxy Z Fold5 5G 12/512GB (G946B D/S) CSC EUX. Android 14. One UI 6.1
0 Likes
elverdiblanco
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the replies so far.

First of all I enabled developer settings and changed the default USB option to transfer files. Then I installed the Samsung USB drivers. No difference, I'm still only seeing the charging notification and no option to change to transfer files. I then installed Smart Switch on the laptop and again no difference, though Smart Switch tells me to connect a device to continue even though the S21+ is plugged in. I then re-installed the USB drivers from inside Smart Switch in case they were perhaps more up to date but again no difference.

I even disabled my internet security software temporarily just in case that was perhaps interfering but that didn't help either.

I really can't figure out what is going on here. Both my partner and myself have bought the S21+ in the past couple of weeks and the same thing is happening with both of the phones.

0 Likes
Solution
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Samsung's are picky when it comes to cables, please use genuine Samsung cables. I assume your phone is unlocked when you connect it?
elverdiblanco
Journeyman
Options

That's the one thing I haven't tried as the cable that came with the phone is USB c on both ends and none of my computers has a USB c port.

Genuine Samsung USB A to C cable ordered from Amazon so let's hope that works.

And yes, @Pugs1957 the phone is unlocked when I connect it.

Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Make sure your windows PC is fully up to date with the latest Windows 10 build. Typically plugging it in via USB (a or c) should bring your device up in Windows explorer. A non genuine Samsung cable is not required but to rule out any issues, try using one (personally never had an issue using any standard USB cable with my Samsung devices to pc).

Once plugged in, on your phone if the notification never popped up, it may still be there if you pull down notifications to change USB settings. Anyway, I hope this helps.
0 Likes
elverdiblanco
Journeyman
Options

The genuine Samsung cable arrived today and now it more or less works, though there are still some quirks with Windows saying a folder on the phone is empty when I know for sure it isn't and some jpg images only displaying on the computer on the second attempt after first saying the format is unsupported.

I had tried three different USB cables with the phone before this one and none of them worked despite being fine with the Huawei P20 Pro I had before it and the HTC 10 before that as well as a Google Pixel C tablet. The cable that arrived today is very thin like the cable that came with the phone, so I tried another thin cable I have that never worked properly for data transfer with any of the devices I mentioned and that one actually works with the S21 too, go figure 🤣

One thing that is surprising about this new cable, it is a *really* tight fit in the USB port on the phone. I wonder if that means it isn't genuine Samsung at all despite being advertised as such?

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Honestly, genuine Samsung cable or not, I really am doubtful any of that makes a difference. As I stated before, I've used Samsung and non Samsung cables with my Samsung devices on PC and never had issue with either. USB connection issues with PCs are more often driver or hardware port related and very rarely due to cables.

One thing I recommend however is installing dex on PC, that way you can be sure the Samsung drivers should be installed.
0 Likes
Andrius_vs
First Poster
Options

I connected cable from IKEA and no any sign in windows, then took white one, Samsung original,  from another phone to test and it works. 🤔

They add extra pins or else 😤

0 Likes