Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 gets hot - closes multi-window

(Topic created on: 31-01-2021 10:25 AM)
Rik07
Pioneer
Options

When I am video calling and simultaneously browsing the web, my phone keeps over-heating and closing the small multi-window video feed. The brightness is always below 40%, I have very few apps open, and am indoors away from direct sunlight. The phone is brand new, can anyone assist?

this is what is happening to my device, except i am video calling instead of playing videos. https://youtu.be/Hrq62ni9cWo

have sent for a replacement.

25 REPLIES 25
Thekidman96
Navigator
Options
Hello, sometime video calling is a high demanding task, phones get hot while doing this, adding another task on top can't be too healthy, that being said I'm not a professional.
0 Likes
Rik07
Pioneer
Options

Hi @Thekidman96, this is true; however, I didn't have this issue on my previous phone (Samsung Galaxy S8), so am wondering why this issue is present in the newer model?

0 Likes
Thekidman96
Navigator
Options
Well I've got the s21 ultra and noticed it gets hot for the first couple of days, now it doesn't really get hot only slightly warm while doing high demanding tasks, I'm assuming this is because the phone is learning your usage patterns, maybe give it a few days to learn about you, this might be the case, another thing is, make sure your phone software is up to date, and your apps, both from Google play and galaxy store.
0 Likes
Rik07
Pioneer
Options

@TheKidman96, this could be true, will see how it copes over the next few days. Curiously, could the thickness/material of the phone case I have be a factor? Am using this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spigen-Armor-Compatible-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B08LKRJ3KD?ref_=ast_sto_dp

0 Likes
Thekidman96
Navigator
Options
My phone has improved drastically since I got it on Tuesday 26th, battery and temperature.
In regards to the case, I wouldn't have a clue, but I use Spigen all the time and currently am now, (liquid air) and not having problems, maybe try to do the same 2 tasks with the case off? yes it will feel 1000000x hotter to your hand, but might make a slight improvement to your phone crashing.
Rik07
Pioneer
Options

Okay, thank you, will give this a shot, also samsung just recommended doing a soft reset (holding the volume down and power button for 10 seconds) - may be worth a try if you have any issues in the future.

Have a good weekend!

Rik07
Pioneer
Options
This problem has now occurred quite a few times on my new Samsung S21 5G, notably just 15 mins ago.

I was only on WhatsApp video call for a total of 10 minutes.

First the phone started to feel a little warmer, so I removed the phone case, then a few minutes later whilst I was browsing the Amazon App (which was the only other app I had open), my multi-window closed because the phone was too hot.

I am out of direct sunlight.

My brightness is less than 20%.

I only had 2 apps open.

And I had no case on.

My phone was not charging and I have the latest software update.

I have also now performed 2 soft resets.

My data, location and Bluetooth were off too.

Can you please advise?

Rik07
Pioneer
Options

Samsung just told me "We are unaware of any issue related to this".....despite many people reporting it on forums and to them directly

thiagothesaints
Apprentice
Options

I just got the same warning about phone hot and closed multiwindow. Had youtube on PIP, brightness was not high, was inside AC car... Phone did feel warmer when touching the screen....hmmm....