Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Fingerprint Scanner Sleep Mode

(Topic created on: 11-12-2021 04:41 PM)
GingerSnapA
Apprentice
Options

New S21 5G, no screen protector installed yet.  I have to press the side key to wake up the phone before I can use my fingerprint to unlock it.  With my A71 I could use my fingerprint on the dark screen to unlock it.  Is the S21 different in that the phone has to be awake to use the fingerprint?  At that point I may as well type in my password.

9 REPLIES 9
GalaxyA51user
Voyager
Options
Settings > Biometrics > Fingerprint > Keep fingerprint always on. Turn it on and done! If your issue is solved, please accept my comment as solution by clicking at 3 dots on my comment
GingerSnapA
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the quick response.  I do have Keep Fingerprint Always On already selected (I made sure all settings were the same as my A71, thinking I was missing something obvious).  

GalaxyA51user
Voyager
Options
That means it's turned on, but how it doesn't work then🧐 Disable and enable again 🤔
GalaxyA51user
Voyager
Options
Also, select Always On Display to always on, and see if fingerprint icon is turned on. If yes, try to unlock.
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
To unlock your phone using your finger, tap the screen or press the Power key or Side key. Then, place the registered finger on the fingerprint scanner, wherever it's located. The phone will automatically unlock if it recognizes your fingerprint.

You can always try
Lift the phone to wake up
Or lift to unlock

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00083345/
0 Likes
TonyPop
Apprentice
Options
You don't have to tap or press side keys. Just place finger on fingerprint icon and it should unlock.
AndrewL
Options

@GingerSnapA: Further to the post above by @GalaxyA51user can you clarify if you have the following setting active?

Settings > Biometrics and Security > Fingerprints > Enter PIN > Show Icon When Screen Is Off > On Always On Display.

To ensure that Always On Display is enabled, head to Settings > Lock Screen > Always On Display > On. 

GingerSnapA
Apprentice
Options

I am sorry for wasting everybody's time, but very grateful for the level of support.  I figured it out...by accident.  The S21 is smaller than the A71 so the location of the print is higher on the S21...I was pressing too low.  Again, my apologies and thanks to all who took the time to respond (it's ok for you to roll your eyes or shake your head at this one!).

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@GingerSnapA: It's no bother at all. I'm pleased to hear that you were able to find the solution to your issue.

0 Likes