Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 face recognition is worse than a budget phone

(Topic created on: 29-11-2021 07:19 PM)
AnglaisRouge
Explorer
Options

Two weeks ago I bought myself a Galaxy S21. This is the first time I have ever owned a "flagship" phone so I had high hopes. I expected everything to be an improvement on my last phone which was a Moto G6 which cost me £199 three years ago. 

The face recognition on the Moto G6 was flawless. Very fast and worked 99 per cent of the time. Sometimes I'd be sitting with it face down on the table and I'd just partially lift it to see the time and ii unlocked. It was that good.

Now here I am with the most expensive phone I've ever bought and the face unlock, to put it bluntly, is *****. It fails probably 4 out of 5 times. From what I've read in this forum I'm not the only one frustraiby this. I've tried all the suggestions and nothing works. Does anyone from Samsung read this forum? Does anyone know if a fix is in the works? How hard can it be to at least match the performance a budget Motorola.

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
The only thing left to do is the screen brightness base level. I find that when record my face data, it's better to hold the phone further away from my face. Mine will unlock at full arms length away, i have long arms 👍
0 Likes
AnglaisRouge
Explorer
Options

Is this any help to the tech team at Samsung... 

I've found that whichever method I use to turn the phone on, side button press, double tap screen, or lift to wake, the face unlock fails. But if there's a notification on the lock screen and I tap it, the camera turns on and the face unlock works every time. So there's nothing wrong with the face registration and nothing wrong with the camera.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes