Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Discussion

(Topic created on: 31-08-2021 11:45 PM)
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Hey all,

Can someone recommend any tips/tricks when first receiving the S21 to prolong its usage as long as possible? I would like for it to last more than a couple of years lol. Any videos that help with this; please let me know as that would be much appreciated😀. I'm specifically getting the S21 5G SM-G9910 Dual SIM 256GB/8GB Snapdragon Variant.
13 REPLIES 13
woodlouse
Helping Hand
Options
Hi there. My 1st tip for prolonging it's life is: try not to throw it under a tank or any other armoured vehicle! - seriously, though the main consideration should be to look after your battery. Don't charge it past 95% each time and never let it completely run down.
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hello @LiquidSnake 

There are many personal thoughts on how best to charge the battery.

Personally I won't let my battery % drop below 15% and I've had no issues charging my phone to 100%. Some won't charge above 80% as they believe this reduces strains on the battery.

Samsungs Official Page is How-can-i-optimise-and-extend-the-battery-life-on-my-samsung-galaxy-smartphone. 

I charge my phone overnight with the phone turned Off.

Everyone has their own thoughts on charging.

Over time a phone's battery will reduce in optimisation due to usage and the amount of discharge and charge cycles.

Protection of the phone is paramount to keep it in good working order.

So my phone's have a case and screen protector on them as we've discussed recently. 

Keep the phone updated with it's software and security updates. Keep the app's updated and my opinion is to stay clear of Apk files which have the potential to harm the phone with malicious files or badly written code.

I prefer to only use original accessories but 3rd party one's are generally OK as long as they have been well made and meant to be used for the phone.

Please do take a look on YouTube as there will be plenty of good tutorials on how to best look after a phone as well as some good write ups on Tech Blogs.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

GusB
Big Cheese
Options
Multiple studies, websites, blogs, videos etc all say to keep battery between 30-80%. Clearly this means that you only have 50% usable range so might not always be possible but certainly keep it in mind.

If your going out with no access to charger then 100% is the only option, if your home all day then keep it sitting in the sweet spot and away from the 2 extremes (0% and 100%)

Physically, good case and screen protector.

This is my battery wear so farScreenshot_20210901-071840_AccuBattery_28762.jpg
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Here is my Take..

Use the phone with all settings on adaptive or auto.
It's a smart phone so let it learn your habits over time.

I have always charged my phones overnight with no issues.
Phone batteries give you good life upto two years and will eventually degrade regardless what you do.

A good case is a.must for that accidental drop and stuff.

Heaving gaming may reduce battery life quicker.

In general just enjoy your phone its meant to be .

When it breaks it breaks, don't worry to much.
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Got another query. How effective are the settings 'put unused apps to sleep' and 'auto disable unused apps'? I leave both of these off as I pretty much need to use every app on my phone, as well as have the ability to make sure they are constantly updated and sending notifications! Instead, I manually put a couple of apps I know I would never use in here and if It can't be disabled then I put it to sleep 😎.

Also another question; if I put an app to sleep, then open that app, will it begin to receive its missed updates as well as send me old notifications? Then, after exiting the app, how long would it be, before it goes to sleep again; as soon as you exit the app or after x amount of time?Screenshot_20210901-074253_Device care.jpg
0 Likes
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Also, I can't be asked to constantly plug and unplug my phone from my charger, so what I do is that; I leave my phone overnight to charge regardless of its percentage, as my S8 will lose like 5% when I go bed for 8 hours lol and it absolutely drains the battery when out and about. I take it off charge at 5am and even by doing an overnight charge, I still have to keep it connected to a power bank around 5PM, as it is close to dying out then! I'm thinking I won't do that for the S21, unless its battery life is under 80%, as I really need the phone to last the whole day without putting it on charge when I'm at university, but also I don't want to damage the battery by always leaving it on charge overnight. What are your thoughts on this?
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@LiquidSnake 

Deep sleeps won't run in the background and they'll only work when you open them.

If you don't close them down in the multi tasking they'll continue to run.

Sleep Apps will run in the background occasionally. Any updates and notifications may be delayed.

I find deep and sleep apps work good as long as you put the right apps for you in them.

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

The phone and Samsung Plug are clever enough to know when the charge hits 100%. When it does the phone should then change from charging to trickle charging @LiquidSnake 

LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
I finally have received the phone! Should I let it charge to 100% when first receiving it or 80%, in order to maximise battery longevity?