Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Battery Life Drain

(Topic created on: 24-02-2021 12:23 AM)
RossShillito
First Poster
Options

Ever since I downloaded the February update the battery life has been pretty poor. I'm in New Zealand and have the AUAB update. (G991BXXU1AUAB to be exact).

After travelling to Auckland, I needed to charge the thing several times and buy a battery pack just to keep it alive. Recently went on a run, used strava with GPS and spotify for an hour, and this chewed through 23% of the battery. Why is bixby taking 1.7% and google play 2.1%? I didn't use either of them at all! This really isn't 'all day battery life' and feel pretty ripped off. Anyone know whether I'll get an update soon? Will this even help?

Thanks!

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Graham
First Poster
Options
you may have bixby routines running which would explain battery usage there.
I find streaming music and location services or general GPS use is always VERY heavy on battery.
I am running G998BXXU1AUB8 baseband version since my Feb update here in the U.K.
My phone is the S21 ultra 5g and I actually find that the battery is worse than the Huawei P30 Pro that I upgraded from.

So regarding high battery consumption .... you are not alone!
0 Likes
2me2u
Pioneer
Options
Google and bixby use location which uses gps hence more battery drain turn that off for the apps
0 Likes
Graham
First Poster
Options
Running power saving mode and no GPS services I can achieve 18 hours before it dies. For a 5000Mah battery I would have expected better.
For comparison the 4200Mah in my P30 Pro used to manage 2 days on a full charge with normal use. It's a bigger difference than was expected.

I'm not slating the phone as it's great, however, the battery life is a bit of a sticking point.
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
The S21 Ultra is a two day phone with minimal usage.
I feel the battery drains are mostly due to apps not optimised for the s21 is some way.
Also running both samsung apps and Google maps might drain battery more as both fight for location, and other stuff.
I would suggest either go full samsung apps or full Google apps if possible or try turning off apps from each you don't need as there is a duplication of resources.
Also bad carrier signal can be a major drain on battery and so is high screen brightness.
0 Likes
aa68
Voyager
Options
try turning off background app usage
0 Likes
RossShillito
First Poster
Options

Got the latest firmware update (AUB8) and the battery life has increased considerably (<4hrs to ~5h15 min). Glad it's least somewhat resolved!

0 Likes