Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 5G Snapdragon Variant

(Topic created on: 27-08-2021 01:29 PM)
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Does anyone know any good websites/places/countries to buy the S21 5G Snapdragon, one that will work in the UK and receive updates? I know snapdragon variants from Hong Kong can work in the UK and get all the updates as an Exynos brought here 😎. I know if I buy the S21 off of Amazon.co.uk, I'm gonna get an Exynos; Is there a way to buy the Snapdragon one on Amazon that will work in the UK (possibly using different country link/VPN)?
27 REPLIES 27
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

So voLTE is voice calls over 4G also known as 4G calling.

More here wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_LTE 

It's not a deal breaker for me to be honest. 

That's correct @LiquidSnake you only pay for the phone. No import fee's at all. 

Right now Samsung UK are offering a Trade In deal www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-s/ 

Networks maybe offering deals to take out a new contract. You'd need to check.

Google Search Samsung galaxy s21deals and you should see various deals that are available. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@LiquidSnake 

Although the WondaMobile staff say voLTE won't work there are forums where owners say it does work.

See…

xda-developers.com/t/getting-5g-volte-working-on-sm-n9860-hk-note-20-ultra-5g. 

reddit.com/r/Galaxy_S20/comments/uk_users_does_wifi_callingvolte_work_with. 

LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Ok, can you recommend any screen protectors? I found this on wonda mobile, please let me know of any better ones:
https://www.wondamobile.com/glass-protector/mocolo-glass-screen-protector.html

Also, have you experienced problems with your calls (like taking long to connect to other caller) and poor audio quality because of no VolTe? Also, does this HK variant have VoNR? In addition, can you see anything else that doesn't work with the S21 HK variant or is that it? I'm so stoked in getting this phone lol, but I don't want to miss out on features that I may discover later on are blocked on the HK variant.

Also, are Samsung Members benefits/offers the same in UK, as the HK variants?
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @LiquidSnake 

The phone will come with a factory fitted tpu screen protector.

However as I prefer the feel of glass over plastic I opt to remove the factory fitted screen protector and replace it with the Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector. 

I always use this type of Glass Screen Protector.

They are available on their website or on Amazon.

Amazon.

Whitestone Dome Home Page.  

mobilefun. 

This isn't the cheapest option available but in my opinion is the best due to how it adheres to the display via silicone, and how well it works with the fps. 

Don't be put off on how it's fitted regarding the procedure. Just allow plenty of time and watch the instructional video available on their website or on YouTube. 

Don't use options where the screen protector has adhesive just along it's edge's only, as these in my user experience tend to pop off and are not very case friendly !

Call quality can depend on a few factors due to cell masts and strength of signal, weather conditions and what the connection is like on the receivers end too.

In my personal experience I've had no issues with call quality with my phone.

VoNR i.e  Voice Over New Radio, so essentially voice calls over 5G is very much in it's infancy,  especially as 5G is still pretty new, and with 5G not available everywhere,  by all Network's and sometines only on specific contract types I wouldn't build too much into this. Maybe as the 5G sector matures over time then it might become more prevalent. Buying a 5G phone's means your future proofing your phone especially if your intending to retain it for a few years 

o2 does not let me use 5G on my Payg contract type, and Vodafone UK don't provide 5G where I live, work or commute so I can't comment on whether this works.

I would assume if the network provides the service, and the phone is 5G then I wouldn't see why it won't work !

reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/p8wf66/galaxy_s21_vonr. 

Can you elaborate to what you mean about Samsung Members /  Benefits ?

My Samsung Members App is the UK option and has the Benefits Section if that's what you mean.

Screenshot_20210828-173830_Samsung Members.jpg

LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting the 'Spigen Tough Armor Case Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S21 - Black'. Honestly, I really appreciate the support you are providing @BandOfBrothers! I'm using Virgin and have checked and it's possible for me to utilise 5G!

What I mean by 'benefits' is that; Are the benefits on a HK variant in the Samsung Members app the same as a UK-brought phone? The screenshot attached are my benefits; are they the same as yours?Screenshot_20210828-205912_Samsung Members_1598.jpg
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @LiquidSnake 

Unfortunately not.

The Benefits Section is blank in my Samsung Members App. 

This is due to the TGY CsC.

I suppose if I changed the CsC to BTU I'd see the benefits you see.

A similar thread eu.community.samsung.com/t5/mobile-apps-services/samsung-members-app-different-region-phone. 

To access benefits I can use my Samsung UK purchased Note 10 5G or use my partners Samsung Galaxy s20.

Where's there's a will there's a way 😉

My set up on my Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G is …

• Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector.
  • Samsung Black Leather Back Case.
  • dBrand Black Dragon Back Skin.
  • dBrand Black Dragon Camera Module Skin.

I also use a Spigen Ultra Hybrid Black Case.

LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Ok, can you suggest any websites/tutorials to change TGY to BTU? All I know is that you find a BTU firmware that had a suitable android version as well as compatibility with your phone model 😎. I would use SamMlbile and other reliable websites to get firmware for this. Then, I would put the phone into download mode, open ODIN on my laptop and load the BTU firmware files on ODIN (AP, BL, CP, Home_CSC files) and press start 😎. I forgot specifically how to do this, but I did change the firmware on an S6 edge to unroot the phone and it worked successfully 😉.

NOTE: I just read on xda and it said that if you have a snapdragon, it is impossible to change to BTU! Screenshot below 🙁. I wish there was a way!

P.S.S: I read on this website though that instead of using ODIN, I can do it through the dialled by using my IMEI number and inputting an USSD code. Then, I select the csc I want (hopefully BTU is there) and it changes as simple as that!! I wonder if that would work... 🤔. Link to website is below:
https://ihax.io/change-csc-samsung/

Finally: Do you trust with having sensitive info and data (banking apps, etc.) on these devices from HK? Did you check your devices was rooted beforehand and had no spyware/dodgy stuff on it? I'm just really worried that something may go wrong, as I have never brought off of WondaMobile before 😮.Screenshot_20210828-222955_Edge.jpg
0 Likes
ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

The U.K. stock, non carrier branded, CSC code for the U.K. is BTU and this determines the firmware that is downloaded to that phone. Since all BTU/U.K. firmwares are for the Exynos model, you cannot change the CSC code or download and install Exynos firmware to a Snapdragon minority variant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My device... Galaxy Z Fold5 5G 12/512GB (G946B D/S) CSC EUX. Android 14. One UI 6.1
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
How unfortunate 🙁. I'll still check though, that there must be a firmware out there that supports snapdragon and can allow me to get Samsung members benefits that are equivalent or possibly better for people in the UK 😉.
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @LiquidSnake 

Yes I looked at the phone using the app CPU-Z and PhoneINFO to ensure the phone hadn't been changed in any way.

Don't be concerned about this as the phone's in my opinion are clean. 

I've now been using this phone for nearly a year with zero issue's with my banking app or hardware or software related. 

Touch wood  😉

Screenshot_20210829-060218.jpg

Screenshot_20210829-060149_CPU-Z.jpg

WondaMobile keep you informed throughout the process from buying the phone to sending updates.

The delivery was exceptionally fast.

Take a look at the reviews on TrustPilot.

trustpilot.com/review/www.wondamobile.com 

Good call by @ironass if that's the case with changing a csc on a Snapdragon imported version of the phone. 👍

Sammobile.com and xdadevelopers.com are the best places to learn what can be done @LiquidSnake 

As I said I've never had the need to have to do this kind of change on my phone's.

To be honest I've not had much usage from the Samsung Members Benefits Section either apart from some money of specific eligible accessories.

As I mentioned I can use my Uk Samsung Note 10+ 5G or my partners Samsung Galaxy s20 to access these if required.

The rest of the Samsung Members options work just fine.

i.e the main homepage and GetHelp Section which includes the Diagnostic Tools so it isn't a deal breaker in my case.