Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick gaming benchmark tests... multiple loops

(Topic created on: 07-02-2021 05:55 PM)
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

This test was carried out to satisfy my own curiosity and understanding... I have seen many benchmarks in reviews and YouTube videos... I wanted to do a similar test myself on my own real hardware.  

This is NOT an Exynos vs SD888 thread... please don't comment or complain about this subject. This test was done on my Exynos 2100 and to check the real life expected performance. 

However bear in mind that running a stress test for 20x continuously is not 'Real life' loading. It does however show that the device can handle the extreme loading for long periods. 

So for the testing... 

I used the 3D Mark 'Wildlife Stress test'. This test outputs extreme CPU and GPU loading that would be consistent with high intensity gaming. The stress test option runs the same test twenty times over, without any breaks in loading. 

After the 20 minute stress test completed I then tested the Geekbench5 CPU test straight afterwards. These results showed a degradation in performance, due to the CPU still feeling the effects of the previous Stress tests. 

I then waited for 10 minutes for the phone to drop in temperature and run the Geekbench5 again. The second test shows a better expected performance. 

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
2 REPLIES 2
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
My observations during tests.

- The phone did get hot during the stress tests. After a few loops the heat of the phone could be felt in hand around the top left side of the phone and the side of the phone on the left. This heat remained about the same for the rest of the test... and didn't get past a certain level of hot. The screenshot above shows 43 degrees C was the maximum temp.

- One thing that I noticed during the 20 loops test... is how smooth the graphics were throughout the test. clearly the phone was heating up, and the charts above show a degradation in frame rates by a few FPS as the test was running... although after 200 seconds the performance seemed very static and consistent.

-The best loop was clearly loop1. the worst was loop12.

- The battery dropped by 11% during this intense 20 minutes of testing. It should be in mind when gaming for an hour or more that you may lose up to 30% battery.

- The geekbench test was clearly impacted and the CPU still feeling the effect of this test.

Conclusions.

Despite these slight degradation in the performance during this longer stress test, the performance remained smooth and precise.

The device heated up to a borderline 'uncomfortable' temperature. Although when it got to a certain level... it didn't get any worse and sustained the temperature at approx 42 to 43 deg C.

However in my opinion a phone could never replace your gaming PC or laptop. it is good for a short period of fun for an hour or two... but could never replace a standalone gaming machine. Consoles and PCs have cooling fans to manage heat... a phone just does not have that luxury for cooling.

I believe this phone is absolutely capable of playing intensive games without too many issues.

In real life usage, typically a game will have some periods of lower intensity and processing to allow some recovery time. This stress test is a very harsh test... and the phone handled it admirably.

Kind regards
Smiley 😀
- Smiley

smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

Finally, as a comparison, I ran the same stress tests on my old S10+ phone.   This was a great phone when released 2 years ago.  You can see the performance of this phone struggles a bit... it is also very visible during running the multiple loops that there are lags, jumps, and performance issues at some times during this test.  The phone also got very warm to hold... but maxed at 39C rather than 43C of the S21u. 

It actually performs pretty well for an older gen Exynos chip... but nowhere close to the numbers of the S21u.

Screenshot_20210207-194750_3DMark.jpgScreenshot_20210207-194723_3DMark.jpgScreenshot_20210207-194733_3DMark.jpg

- Smiley

0 Likes