Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power, battery and charging on the S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra

(Topic created on: 21-06-2021 06:41 PM)
SachikoT
Helping Hand
Options

We’ve been noticing a lot of conversation in our Community about power, battery and charging on the S21 family devices, so wanted to consolidate a quick guide for you to help you with your questions!

What data/power cable comes with the S21, S21+ or S21 Ultra?

You’ll get a USB-C to USB-C cable in the box with your S21, S21+ or S21 Ultra that you can use for wired data transfer or to power your phone with a Samsung power adapter (sold separately).

What power adapter (power brick/travel adapter/charger block) should be used with the S21, S21+ or S21 Ultra?  

We recommend that you use a 25W USB-C Samsung Power Adapter (that block that goes into the mains) with your S21 device. This will allow you to benefit from Super-Fast charging with your phone to keep you going. You can use a compatible Samsung charger from a previous device, or can buy the adapter separately (as you know, it does not come in the box).

Do the S21, S21+ or S21 Ultra support wireless charging?

You can use Qi wireless charging to power your device with a wireless charger (sold separately) or can turn your new phone into a wireless charging pad to charge other compatible devices by using the Wireless Powershare feature.

Helpful power, battery and charging specifications

Galaxy S21

Galaxy S21+

Galaxy S21 Ultra

Battery capacity

4,000 mAh

4,800mAh

5,000mAh

Data/power cable (included in the box)

USB-C to USB-C cable

Power adapter (sold separately)

USB-C power adapter

Wireless Charging

Yes, using Qi wireless charging standard

Wireless PowerShare

Yes

Wired Charging Speed

Super-Fast Charging with Samsung charger that supports this (25W USB-C)

Compatible Samsung power adaptor (sold separately)

Up to 25W

Will my 45W charger work with the S21 devices? 

A Samsung 45W USB-C power charger will charge the S21 super fast using up to 25W. To achieve super-fast charging speeds it must be connected usb-c to usb-c. 

The charger defines the maximum amount of power that it can draw but the device will define how much is actually drawn to the device. 

Is there a 45W charger available for the S21 series?

With the enhancements to our charging technology, we no longer see the benefit of 45W chargers and are able to deliver super-fast charging with 25W chargers.

Do you have more power, battery or charging questions, please post in the below! 

42 REPLIES 42
Ajs3
Pathfinder
Options

Updated to AUB9 yesterday. Phone drained 25% overnight on 8hrs of standby. What a mess.

0 Likes
Edgie70
Troubleshooter
Options

Just done that since the update ? Fine before it ? 

0 Likes
spitshaw
Pioneer
Options

+1 for terrible battery life. My 4 year old Huawei P20 Pro that I traded in for the S21U was outlasting the S21U easily by 2 hours or more SOT. Not happy whatsoever. I'm getting around 6 hours of SOT, it's frankly just nowhere near good enough for a £1200 phone. Also my phone is pretty much always warm to the touch too - and I only use it for light useage like reddit scolling and reading newspaper articles! I don't understand why it has problems with heating from just browsing webpages

0 Likes
Rollum
First Poster
Options
why is it with my new S21 I'm charging twice nearly 3 × a day yet my old s10 was 1 charge at night and good for the whole day..? yet I've added no more apps to my new S21 ?
0 Likes
SaiChaotic
Pathfinder
Options

My 2 year old Huawei Mate 20 Pro can outlast the Samsung S21 Ultra the same usage, and does not heat up as bad as the s21 ultra

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
0 Likes
Members_OAzQBl9
First Poster
Options

I am having exactly the same problem! My S21 Ultra battery wise is performing worse than my A21 (2019) or S7..., like twice as bad and those are already old devices... 

4h SOT (Screen on Time) this is what I am getting each day! Like WTF...

I have tried probably every single battery optimization trick in the book, except turning off the WQHD and 120HZ as those are the features I bought this beast of a phone for. And I am heavily disappointed.

What I have tried:

1. Nearby Wifi Scanning off
  2. Nearby Bluetooth Scanning off
  3. Device Scanning off
  4. All possible battery optimization/Adaptive features on
  5. Almost all the APPS put to deep sleep
  6. Phone fully debloated from all unused app including Samsung Smarthings.
  7. Dark Mode ON
  8. Adaptive Brightness Off  so it does not peak to high values wasting battery - with Slider permanently set below 40%
  9. Pretty much all the setting like NFC, Bluetooth etc OFF whenever not used. Data or Wifi ON depending on location
  10. No enhanced processing,
  11. 5G Off
  12. Second SIM OFF (For now at least) so it does not have to do the heavy lifting of connecting to two networks.
  13. I am actively monitoring my battery with Samsung tools and AccuBattery

At this is what I get... see below:

Screenshoot #1 - This is pretty much my daily experience... bearly 4h SOT and my S21 Ultra is Dead...  worse than all 3 phones I had previously.

159403620_150752613478983_2944442617210286329_n.jpeg

Screenshot #2 - Almost dead less than 4h SOT

158825775_850486645510136_8061467257157860222_n.jpeg

Screenshoot #3 - This one is from today, I am about to charge it for the third time and it is only 3pm... No games, nothing... The high number of SOT due to me charging a few times during the day

159518657_265691898505866_4453034700158494106_n.jpeg

I am so frustrated at this point, I am not sure if I should go return it to Samsung, do I have a defective unit?

Also on a side note, it tends to run hot even when I do a simple thing like scrolling a website for longer period of time....

Is this is what the most expensive smartphone on the market experience should be? Turning off almost everything to function? I never had to do it to this degree in the past...

0 Likes
AdamPN
First Poster
Options
Does anyone else have a problem with the phone killing the USB cables? I've had the phone since launch and honestly love it, however I'm currently on my 4th usb cable as the others all seem to stop working after a few weeks of being used about once a day.
At first I thought It was just because I bought some cheep cables but it seems it's doing the same to official products too.
I charge overnight so I don't move it about while it's plugged in and as far as I can tell there's nothing in the charging port and there seems to be no damage to the port itself.
I understand I can charge wirelessly, however my main concern is that I recently purchased a gaming controller that connects via the usb port and I don't want that to get damaged as well
0 Likes
DrakenCZ
First Poster
Options

I experienced similar problem - 4 of my 5 cables (btw - official Samsung originals from NOte 8, SG A70, SG m31s started to show "check the cable connection" when plugged into the phone and estimated charging length was about 10-20 HOURS!!! It is insane. It appears that the software started to "check" what cable is plugged or so... because when I bought a new cable (Samsung original) it shown the same "error". All started with last update. Before that all cables were working properly and even they did not support superquick charging whey worked (2-3h charging time). Now they dont. 

0 Likes
SADogman
First Poster
Options

First let me say that I've been using Samsung phones sinc3 S6 series. These phones are atrocious, I'm using my Note 20 alongside my new S21 ultra and my battery life has dropped to 35% while my Note20 is at 85% using same apps and my S21 was charged after my note 20. Units are getting hot as wll. Many people complaining of the same issue. Response was to ship me out 2 new phones. If these react the same way, I'm getting my money  back. I've already purchased new cases and screen protectors so I'll be out that money as ell.

0 Likes
Edgie70
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi all , thinking of getting the S21 not + or ultra , battery life is a thing I'm particularly interested in , what's sot like ?? Thanks

0 Likes