Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power, battery and charging on the S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra

(Topic created on: 29-01-2021 03:12 PM)
SachikoT
Helping Hand
Options

We’ve been noticing a lot of conversation in our Community about power, battery and charging on the S21 family devices, so wanted to consolidate a quick guide for you to help you with your questions!

What data/power cable comes with the S21, S21+ or S21 Ultra?

You’ll get a USB-C to USB-C cable in the box with your S21, S21+ or S21 Ultra that you can use for wired data transfer or to power your phone with a Samsung power adapter (sold separately).

What power adapter (power brick/travel adapter/charger block) should be used with the S21, S21+ or S21 Ultra?  

We recommend that you use a 25W USB-C Samsung Power Adapter (that block that goes into the mains) with your S21 device. This will allow you to benefit from Super-Fast charging with your phone to keep you going. You can use a compatible Samsung charger from a previous device, or can buy the adapter separately (as you know, it does not come in the box).

Do the S21, S21+ or S21 Ultra support wireless charging?

You can use Qi wireless charging to power your device with a wireless charger (sold separately) or can turn your new phone into a wireless charging pad to charge other compatible devices by using the Wireless Powershare feature.

Helpful power, battery and charging specifications

Galaxy S21

Galaxy S21+

Galaxy S21 Ultra

Battery capacity

4,000 mAh

4,800mAh

5,000mAh

Data/power cable (included in the box)

USB-C to USB-C cable

Power adapter (sold separately)

USB-C power adapter

Wireless Charging

Yes, using Qi wireless charging standard

Wireless PowerShare

Yes

Wired Charging Speed

Super-Fast Charging with Samsung charger that supports this (25W USB-C)

Compatible Samsung power adaptor (sold separately)

Up to 25W

Will my 45W charger work with the S21 devices? 

A Samsung 45W USB-C power charger will charge the S21 super fast using up to 25W. To achieve super-fast charging speeds it must be connected usb-c to usb-c. 

The charger defines the maximum amount of power that it can draw but the device will define how much is actually drawn to the device. 

Is there a 45W charger available for the S21 series?

With the enhancements to our charging technology, we no longer see the benefit of 45W chargers and are able to deliver super-fast charging with 25W chargers.

Do you have more power, battery or charging questions, please post in the below! 

42 REPLIES 42
SpencerK
Journeyman
Options

Hi, I have been reading that charging your phone, super-fast - 25W, is detrimental to the longevity of a long battery life.  Is this an issue you have tested? 

Thanks

0 Likes
sally61
Apprentice
Options

I am more concerned with ruining the phone by not using the correct charger. I'm not paying for one as the phone was expensive enough. Returning it and will change to something other than samsung

sally61
Apprentice
Options

This says it all..................I'm not willing to risk so much money on a phone with no charger

Will my 45W charger work with the S21 devices? 

A Samsung 45W USB-C power charger will charge the S21 super fast using up to 25W. To achieve super-fast charging speeds it must be connected usb-c to usb-c. 

The charger defines the maximum amount of power that it can draw but the device will define how much is actually drawn to the device. 

Is there a 45W charger available for the S21 series?

With the enhancements to our charging technology, we no longer see the benefit of 45W chargers and are able to deliver super-fast charging with 25W chargers.

0 Likes
SpencerK
Journeyman
Options

I have this question too.  I have been using a standard USB-C to USB charger, its taking a bit longer sure, but at least I don't have to purchase another adapter.

Andyw2100
First Poster
Options

Is there a way to switch from 5G to 4G to improve battery life? There are posts here and elsewhere that discuss the ability to do that in Settings/Connections/Mobile Networks/Network Mode, but the only two options there are Automatic and Manual. Selecting Manual provides the ability to select from a choice of networks, but the only Verizon choices do not include the ability to select a 4G connection. (They just say Verizon.)

I am noticing much greater battery usage when I am in 5G areas, and would much prefer to use the phone in 4G mode to preserve battery life.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Actually the s10 and note 10 line also came with USB-C to USB-C chargers too, the notes being 25w. The cable is handy if you want to connect to another phone, power brick (not just ones in the wall) or a laptop/pc for wired data transfer. The note 10's charger charges my S21 Ultra in around 1h 10mins so its plenty fast (better than S20 Ultra actually).
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
you could see it this way or you could say if you ordered the phone with a charger and it is still cheaper than last years model with better upgraded specs (mostly), you have the option.
0 Likes
berniesat
Student
Options

I'm still confused. Can you use a charger that has a traditional USB  connection and a USB-C end with the S21? Also, how do you connect the phone to a computer or charge it in a car?

Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I've been using 45W super fast charging on my S20 Ultra for nearly a year now with no discernable difference in battery life so I'm doubtful it's of any concern. Furthermore I've also been using a Huawei Mate 20 Pro for over 2 years with 40W fast charging and battery life is pretty much the same since day 1.
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
yes, that's exactly where it is. you should see options for 5g/LTE/3g/2g and LTE/3g/2g. Select the LTE/3g/2g.
0 Likes