Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power, battery and charging on the S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra

(Topic created on: 29-01-2021 02:25 PM)
SachikoT
Helping Hand
Options

We’ve been noticing a lot of conversation in our Community about power, battery and charging on the S21 family devices, so wanted to consolidate a quick guide for you to help you with your questions!

What data/power cable comes with the S21, S21+ or S21 Ultra?

You’ll get a USB-C to USB-C cable in the box with your S21, S21+ or S21 Ultra that you can use for wired data transfer or to power your phone with a Samsung power adapter (sold separately).

What power adapter (power brick/travel adapter/charger block) should be used with the S21, S21+ or S21 Ultra?  

We recommend that you use a 25W USB-C Samsung Power Adapter (that block that goes into the mains) with your S21 device. This will allow you to benefit from Super-Fast charging with your phone to keep you going. You can use a compatible Samsung charger from a previous device, or can buy the adapter separately (as you know, it does not come in the box).

Do the S21, S21+ or S21 Ultra support wireless charging?

You can use Qi wireless charging to power your device with a wireless charger (sold separately) or can turn your new phone into a wireless charging pad to charge other compatible devices by using the Wireless Powershare feature.

Helpful power, battery and charging specifications

Galaxy S21

Galaxy S21+

Galaxy S21 Ultra

Battery capacity

4,000 mAh

4,800mAh

5,000mAh

Data/power cable (included in the box)

USB-C to USB-C cable

Power adapter (sold separately)

USB-C power adapter

Wireless Charging

Yes, using Qi wireless charging standard

Wireless PowerShare

Yes

Wired Charging Speed

Super-Fast Charging with Samsung charger that supports this (25W USB-C)

Compatible Samsung power adaptor (sold separately)

Up to 25W

Will my 45W charger work with the S21 devices? 

A Samsung 45W USB-C power charger will charge the S21 super fast using up to 25W. To achieve super-fast charging speeds it must be connected usb-c to usb-c. 

The charger defines the maximum amount of power that it can draw but the device will define how much is actually drawn to the device. 

Is there a 45W charger available for the S21 series?

With the enhancements to our charging technology, we no longer see the benefit of 45W chargers and are able to deliver super-fast charging with 25W chargers.

Do you have more power, battery or charging questions, please post in the below! 

42 REPLIES 42
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
what I would like to know is the battery life considerably better on the standard s21 vs standard S20 or is it just about the same?
0 Likes
sally61
Apprentice
Options

Actually I just received my S21 today and I did not know a power adapter was not supplied with the phone.

Considering is a c type adapter as well and that I have paid a lot of money for the phone, to not have a charger with it is quite insulting. I am considering returning it.

under_the_radar
Apprentice
Options

It doesn't make much sense does it. I knew it would come without a charger, but what I wasn't prepared for, having about 3 other samsung chargers is that they all have standard USB ports, but the charger for the s21 is obviously USB - C to USB - C, however the buds live charging cable & my samsung watch 3 have USB - C to USB standard cables, so I can plug them in fine, but now need a separate plug to charge the phone or buy an adaptor for an old charger that works fine, all this to save putting a charger in the packaging with a premium phone worth more than the laptop I'm typing this on... 

sally61
Apprentice
Options

Agreed. I have a samsung watch too so its even more annoying. I have had samsungs for years and have always been happy with them. Now I cannot even use my phone because I have to find a  charger. The phone cost far more than my samsung watch and tablet,  its ridiculous.

under_the_radar
Apprentice
Options

I have a few questions regarding this : (I did an earlier rant but trying to be more concise here) :

Upgrading from an S9, I have a few fast chargers, I don't need to take advantage of the fastest charging ever, in all honestly most of the time outside of covid my phone is always charged via a USB port in the car, very rarely plugged into the mains at home. Now that the charging cable is USB - C to USC - C, I either need to buy a USB-C - USB-C adaptor, or use a cable from an old phone when in the car, and/or buy another adapter to charge at home, seems a bit unreasonable to make me buy another plug when you have changed the charger cable.

Is there any harm to charging the phone in this way, with a USB - C to USB Standard cable? I just don't see why the change to have USB -C on both ends of the cable, especially when the buds live and watch 3 come with cables that are the traditional USB - C to Standard, especially if you believe the press release that this is in the name of reducing waste because "everyone already has a plug" which absolutely isn't the case. 

To summise, really what I'm asking is, is there any benefit to buying usb-c adaptors other than faster charging, or can I just make do with older usb - usb-c cables / adaptors, and why have you implemented this headache on long term samsung customers? Not so much a whinge as a genuine question. And yes, this post didn't end up being concise at all.. 

under_the_radar
Apprentice
Options

Presuming your last phone was an S8 or newer you should still be able to use the old charger I think, it's just the new charging cable that isn't compatible with older plugs, but the older plugs / chargers (as long as one end is usb c) should work fine with the actual phone, it just might not be as quick as charging. I did ask for clarification below as to whether that could cause problems but I can't really see why it would. I charge my phones from a usb socket in the car mostly so either way I need an adaptor if I were to use the out the box cable, which when you think how many plugs/sockets etc have a standard usb socket installed, makes this change in cable really silly.

under_the_radar
Apprentice
Options

Both standards are 4000 mAh so in theory should be similar unless something on the S21 has a noticeably bigger drain on the battery which I think would be unlikely. I'm not affiliated with Samsung, I came here to moan about the charging cable, but that is my understanding - both are the same size battery.

0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
to be honest unless your last phone was an S20 series the wire that comes with the phone is pointless as the S20 or Note 20 is only phones that came with USB C charger I think they should have waited till at least the S22 to drop the charger. however you will be able to charge the phone from s8 and above charger it just won't be as fast. if you come from an old old phone or an iPhone older than the 11 Pro you are then screwed and will have to fork out 30 sheets for a charger, not ideal
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
ah ok fair enough, I would presume due to the lower res screen it should get a bit more will be interesting to see