Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor in-call sound quality

(Topic created on: 26-05-2021 08:00 PM)
beagle
Explorer
Options

I've just 'upgraded' to an S21 from an S10e and the in-call audio quality is terrible.  Basically the sound is muffled and slightly distorted.  This happens on Wifi calling and normal calling. 

Has anybody else experienced this? 

13 REPLIES 13
Guy41
Navigator
Options

This happens when transitioning from an older phone to one where the Speaker is under the screen (have you noticed?). Hold  the phone half a cm higher and it should sound just fine. Youll get used to it. 

0 Likes
beagle
Explorer
Options

thanks for the suggestion, but that makes no difference.  Given that the speaker sounds fine when playing music etc. I wonder if it could be an issue with my provider/sim?

Soopertr00per
Student
Options

I have had my S21 just 1 day & had 3 people I call regularly complain that the call quality on the phone is poor.

I am now working from home - something needs to be done, can I change it I'm wondering? Is the problem to do with the microphone?

0 Likes
JulieAnnIsabel
First Poster
Options

Yes! I have problems because I have sound sensitivity. I didn't have any problem with my S10, tho. I traded it for the S21 and I realized the sound when I was taking a call was bothering me a lot. I have to use the headphones to be able to talk with someone. I went to the store because I thought it was a device defect, but they told me there was nothing wrong with it. I really regret trading my S10 now. 😞

0 Likes
Soopertr00per
Student
Options

I went back to EE & swapped it for an iPhone 12 - problem solved.

0 Likes
WBP
First Poster
Options

In-call sound quality on my new S21 is miserable.  Truly poor.  I've worked in the mobile industry for two-plus decades, carrying Nokia devices, Apple devices, Huawei devices -  and across multiple carriers - but this is my first Samsung.  Could the phone itself be defective?  I can't work with this.

0 Likes
MarkHamil
First Poster
Options

I've also noticed this issue after receiving my S21. I'm thinking about returning it for something else. I reached out to my carrier (ATT) and they did not have a solution, there were some equalizer tweaks I found online that helped somewhat but it sounds very "tinny" and distorted. No complaints with the phone outside of this..but it's a telephone and needs to be able to function as such or is useless.

0 Likes
dms883
First Poster
Options

I have been having the exact same issue and got tired of asking everyone to repeat themselves.  You are correct that it is both muffled and also low volume.  I did find one thing that helped me and wanted to post it in case it might help someone else.  

Try this, especially if volume is your issue:  
Settings
Tap "Sounds and Vibration"
Scroll to the bottom and tap "Sound Quality and Effects"
Then tap "Adapt Sound"
Select "Over 60 Years old"  
This will boost all frequencies and  made it easier for me to hear and understand people. You can also look under the "Sound Quality and effects" tab and use the equalizer to make minor alterations.  

Hope this helps. 

0 Likes
GDK1
First Poster
Options

Just switched from Motorola Z to the S21 love the phone but everyone at the other end of my call complains my audio comes in and out. My end sounds terrific. I have tried speaking closer to the edge of the phone and holding the phone perpendicular to my mouth and every other way and it does not seem to make a difference. I am hoping this is a software issue because I just started to get these complaints within the past week or so. (Around 12-14-21)

0 Likes