Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo editing tools GONE? Live focus and all photo editing tools disappeared with the new update!

(Topic created on: 19-03-2021 04:02 PM)
JoJo2021
Explorer
Options

The biggest reason I bought the S20+ was the camera and photo editing tools. Seriously used them ALL-THE-TIME and they've all disappeared with the latest update. Live focus is gone, portrait editing tools... gone. Is there a way to roll back the update? This was the biggest feature of the phone I use. What's the solution? And yes, I've found you can now take photos in Portrait Mode and make adjustments that way, but seriously, who edits photos before they take them? That's just ludicrous. I snap away, pick a favorite or two, and fine-tune that one. 

46 REPLIES 46
ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

A new firmware update has begun rolling out for the S20 series of phones, G98**XXU7DUC7, that has camera improvement updates. See...

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_seeds_big_camera_update_for_galaxy_s20_series-news-48289.php

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My device... Galaxy Z Fold5 5G 12/512GB (G946B D/S) CSC EUX. Android 14. One UI 6.1
0 Likes
JoJo2021
Explorer
Options

I see I can change the background blur if taken in portrait mode, but for photos of plants or landscapes the new portrait doesn't work the same way Live Focus did. And all of the other photo editing tools are gone- contrast, white balance, saturation, facial portrait editing etc. 

0 Likes
JoJo2021
Explorer
Options

I wish I always had time to properly compose photos, but with an active life I'll take many photos throughout the day and edit them later at my leisure. 

0 Likes
JoJo2021
Explorer
Options

You are correct, it's the S20. Apologies. 

0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

I still don't quite understand what is missing.  If I take a normal picture in 'photo mode' and open it in gallery, then click the pencil there is a load of changes that can be made.  it defaults to the rotate and flip menu, and underneath there is a scrolling list of colour balance filters, brightness, contrast, add text, and even labs additions such as removing objects from the photo.  

This seems to have all the image editing tools that I have previous had (although I had an S10+ and not an S20+).    I don't observe anything missing from this menu. 

If you want bokeh blur etc then you can click portrait mode, change to forward facing camera, and take a picture of whichever plant or item you want to snap, and then apply the same blur effects as the live focus did previously for bokeh effects.  

Am I missing something ?   

Smiley

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
If you understand how to control depth of field there is no reason to edit a photo to control the bokeh effect.
0 Likes
JoJo2021
Explorer
Options

Hi Smiley- The tools you mention, " underneath there is a scrolling list of colour balance filters, brightness, contrast, add text, and even labs additions such as removing objects from the photo." are all gone after the latest update. Those tools are all gone- see the screenshot below. There's nothing beneath, next to, or around the tilt/flip options anymore. Just gone! 

Screenshot_20210319-100543_Photo Editor.jpg

0 Likes
JoJo2021
Explorer
Options

Depth of field is the least of the issues. All the other tools, like white balance, contrast, saturation and portrait editing tools are gone too. I'm a semi-pro photographer, so I do understand photo composition and controlling depth of field, but these are photos I snap with my phone, not from my Nikon, so I like to edit photos once I've taken them. The issue to me is these tools I've come to rely on and enjoy disappeared with the latest update- and without any warning. 

Joeeye
Maestro
Options
What update version are you referring to. My S20 Ultra has them. I'm on DUBA/DUB7/DUB5 firmware.
0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
very strange... they are available on my S21ultra. see picture.

maybe it is a bug with the S20 update... rather than a permanent feature.

Screenshot_20210319-164141_Photo Editor.jpg

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
0 Likes