Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo editing tools GONE? Live focus and all photo editing tools disappeared with the new update!

(Topic created on: 19-03-2021 03:11 PM)
JoJo2021
Explorer
Options

The biggest reason I bought the S20+ was the camera and photo editing tools. Seriously used them ALL-THE-TIME and they've all disappeared with the latest update. Live focus is gone, portrait editing tools... gone. Is there a way to roll back the update? This was the biggest feature of the phone I use. What's the solution? And yes, I've found you can now take photos in Portrait Mode and make adjustments that way, but seriously, who edits photos before they take them? That's just ludicrous. I snap away, pick a favorite or two, and fine-tune that one. 

46 REPLIES 46
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Live focus is now called portrait video mode.
AndrewL
Options

@JoJo2021: Sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding these issues. Regarding the photo editing options, these should still be accessible by heading to the Gallery app, selecting a photo or video and tapping the pencil image at the bottom of the screen. Is this not the case? 

JoJo2021
Explorer
Options

Not the case at all! The only editing tools available via the "pencil" are to rotate or flip the image. That's it. 

Screenshot_20210319-100543_Photo Editor.jpg

JoJo2021
Explorer
Options

Portrait is now available as a photo taking mode- meaning, you TAKE the photo in portrait, and before you snap the photo you make the adjustments you want to see. (and who does this? Seriously?)  You cannot edit a photo from the gallery via to adjust the live focus blur, or do portrait edits once you've taken the photo. 

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

A bit about the new advanced portrait mode here https://news.samsung.com/global/behind-the-snapshot-how-the-galaxy-s21s-ai-improves-your-photos-in-t... https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s21-selfies-portrait-shots-improved-ai/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
JoJo2021
Explorer
Options

I take photos of lots ot things other than people or pets (like plants!) and liked being able to select my subject and do the edit myself. I never would have updated my phone had I known all the tools would disappear. This is a serious disappointment. 

smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

Is this message related to the S21+ phone, or S20+ phone ?   I am assuming from your post that you are disappointed with the One UI 3.1 update to your already existing S20+ ?    i.e. the previous Android version 2.5 used to work to your expectations, but the new Android update has changed that ?  

If so, then can a moderator please move this to the S20 Series ?  

On the subject of taking a portrait and then making changes to blur, colour, background changes, then I have found when opening up the image in gallery there is a pop up message 'Change background effects'...selecting this will give at least 9 options for different effects for blur and background features.   Is this what you mean ?  

Smiley

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Who does that? People with cameras! I would not expect to have to edit a photo that I had composed properly.
0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

@Pugs1957 wrote:
Who does that? People with cameras! I would not expect to have to edit a photo that I had composed properly.

i guess you can take a fairly quick and basic image with portrait mode, and then afterwards when you have more time, then play around with the background effects and blurs to give that bokeh effect.   

Actually i find this a fun feature for portrait mode photos...

Smiley :smiling-face:

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
0 Likes