Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

PERMANENT FIX FOR APP CRASHES AVAILABLE

(Topic created on: 23-03-2021 11:55 AM)
JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
A permanent fix for the issues which stated yesterday is now available.

Multiple people are now reporting that the latest updates for both webview (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.webview) and chrome (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome) have fixed the issue.
If these apps have updates available, you should try installing these updates. If you are still having issues after updating these apps, see this thread https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/temporary-fix-for-app-crashing-issue/td-p/3117... for details of a temporary fix.

Users who have already applied the temporary fix should be able to update the apps, however if this causes the issue to return, you should repeat the instructions in the original thread to uninstall them again. If updating does not cause the issue to return, you should be able to safely re-enable automatic updates.

If anyone continues to have issues after updating both apps, please let me know so that I can update the post with details of the issue.

EDIT: The Samsung members anti-spam feature appears to be periodically blocking me from commenting. Sorry if I'm not able to respond to comments immediately. 

EDIT: If you want to share this thread, press the share button in the top right corner of the screen (it looks like 3 circles with lines between them) then press on copy. You should then be able to paste the link wherever you need to use it.

Ongoing issues:
  • A number of people are experiencing issues updating these apps (mostly getting stuck at the pending download stage) and many of these users appear to be unable to uninstall previous updates through Google play. These users should uninstall updates through the system settings (details in the thread at https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/temporary-fix-for-app-crashing-issue/td-p/3117...)
  • One user has reported issues with the play store itself crashing when attempting to download the updates.
  • A small number of users have reported the issues persisting after updating both affected apps. I would guess that for whatever reason the new (fixed) version isn't yet available to these users, however I would welcome feedback from anyone who may know more.
If anyone has any idea how these users can sort the issues out, please let me know so that I can update this post with details.

If you are experiencing any issues after trying the above fix, please let me know (even if it is already listed above), and include as much detail as you can (what is happening, do any errors appear, etc.).

None of the issues appear to make the problem any worse or reintroduce solved problems.
Go to solution
71 REPLIES 71
defelilo
Explorer
Options
not able to update webview either in play or through settings. everything crashes and nothing is able to update individually
0 Likes
JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
Have you tried to update chrome too? Both apps have been linked to the problems on different devices, you should try to update both.
0 Likes
JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
A small number of people have been experiencing issues getting the update to download. Unfortunately I am not aware of a solution to that particular issue. This is the first report I've seen about Google play crashing, I will keep on the look out for more information regarding that particular issue.
0 Likes
stagetech1
First Poster
Options

Thank you AndrewL. Excellent fix. You have saved the few hairs I have left on my head.

0 Likes
Rgbailey
First Poster
Options

Still having issues with S20.  When I update website - keeps pending

Any other advice?

jmuns
First Poster
Options

Fantastic!  My phone was all sorts of effed up and updating those two apps put everything right.  Thanks!

JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
Sorry, but this does seem to be an issue at the moment, I haven't seen any suggestions for how to solve this yet.
0 Likes
PERMANENT FIX FOR AP
First Poster
Options

Thank you, this did work. Any thoughts on why this occurred? Way to expensive a phone to go thru a fire drill like this. Appreciate the help very much

0 Likes
rana95
First Poster
Options
I've not been able to access new emails since yesterday morning. Noticed further issues with apps last night, including my banking and opening links from Instagram. I have tried to update both apps mentioned, but cannot do so as my playstore shows they both updated yesterday
0 Likes
elsdore
Student
Options
Tried this, the update button just whirls round, nothing happens
0 Likes