Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

PERMANENT FIX FOR APP CRASHES AVAILABLE

(Topic created on: 23-03-2021 02:01 PM)
JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
A permanent fix for the issues which stated yesterday is now available.

Multiple people are now reporting that the latest updates for both webview (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.webview) and chrome (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome) have fixed the issue.
If these apps have updates available, you should try installing these updates. If you are still having issues after updating these apps, see this thread https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/temporary-fix-for-app-crashing-issue/td-p/3117... for details of a temporary fix.

Users who have already applied the temporary fix should be able to update the apps, however if this causes the issue to return, you should repeat the instructions in the original thread to uninstall them again. If updating does not cause the issue to return, you should be able to safely re-enable automatic updates.

If anyone continues to have issues after updating both apps, please let me know so that I can update the post with details of the issue.

EDIT: The Samsung members anti-spam feature appears to be periodically blocking me from commenting. Sorry if I'm not able to respond to comments immediately. 

EDIT: If you want to share this thread, press the share button in the top right corner of the screen (it looks like 3 circles with lines between them) then press on copy. You should then be able to paste the link wherever you need to use it.

Ongoing issues:
  • A number of people are experiencing issues updating these apps (mostly getting stuck at the pending download stage) and many of these users appear to be unable to uninstall previous updates through Google play. These users should uninstall updates through the system settings (details in the thread at https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/temporary-fix-for-app-crashing-issue/td-p/3117...)
  • One user has reported issues with the play store itself crashing when attempting to download the updates.
  • A small number of users have reported the issues persisting after updating both affected apps. I would guess that for whatever reason the new (fixed) version isn't yet available to these users, however I would welcome feedback from anyone who may know more.
If anyone has any idea how these users can sort the issues out, please let me know so that I can update this post with details.

If you are experiencing any issues after trying the above fix, please let me know (even if it is already listed above), and include as much detail as you can (what is happening, do any errors appear, etc.).

None of the issues appear to make the problem any worse or reintroduce solved problems.
71 REPLIES 71
JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
This does appear to be an issue for a small number of people, I will let you know if I found out about a solution.
0 Likes
JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
This does appear to be an issue for a small number of people, I will let you know if I found out about a solution.
witticles
Explorer
Options
my bank ,audible etc all keep crashing. my main concern though is not bekng able to access my emails
0 Likes
witticles
Explorer
Options
as i have told james this doesnt work. it just scrolls
0 Likes
witticles
Explorer
Options
james there is no webview in my apps which may explain why it wont update? i have looked on google play but dont know what to download there is a beta version or a dev option ? and an update available again which just scrolls
0 Likes
JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
I don't think I can offer you any more help at the moment, I'm waiting to see if anyone is able to suggest a fix for the problem you're experiencing. I will let you know when I find out more.
0 Likes
JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
As a temporary measure, you should still be able to access most services (including email) through chrome or another web browser. Unfortunately I can't offer a more permanent solution right now.
0 Likes
witticles
Explorer
Options
nothing works James. guess i am heading to ios
0 Likes
defelilo
Explorer
Options
when you go to update it just hangs. turn and turn that little swirl and them "poof" play crashes too
0 Likes
WobSleptHere
Pioneer
Options

Many thanks, so far that seems to have done the trick. Keeping fingers crossed ...