Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

overheating s21

(Topic created on: 01-03-2021 06:33 PM)
KieranSloan
Apprentice
Options
Guys I've been getting an overheating issue when using video calling on the S21. It crashes all Windows and cannot open anything until it cools a bit. Is anyone else having the same issues or have a fix?
19 REPLIES 19
sarasphotobox
Hotshot
Options
everyone is on the same boat even ok using S10+ and gets bloody warm. nevertheless it's draining as hell the battery. I think SAMSUNG need a wake-up call why is it this company always lacks acknowledgement of wrongful doing in glitchy software, buggy phones or faulty phones. Don't get me started today when I gave it to them via chat online they are like oh would u like to book repair? please il bloody knock their teeth out instead 🤣🤣🤣.

my advice is just reboot phone. btw how's your battery
KieranSloan
Apprentice
Options
battery seems fine with it being a new fone but I'm kinda worried with the new super fast charging might be causing the overheating incase it damages the battery. the girlfriend has an S20 Ultra and she has no problems at all with it.
0 Likes
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
everyone almost had this problem. Samsung claims March update should help or that you return your device

edit
for those who haven't, the 3.1 Feb update royally increases overheating.

if you haven't updated, wait for March one
Gionike
Voyager
Options
there's been a lot of chatter about the heat issue and I was one of them. but not EVERYONE is having this issue. the ones that have, well, alot of them have also found a solution.
I actually returned my 1st 2 phones back to EE as 'faulty' because...well it was so 🔥 after using it for like few minutes. especially when setting it up from my old phone. I spoke to SAMSUNG and EE and also started researching online for help.

if I didn't love this phone so much, I would have given up and made a complaint but there was a few things that didn't add up that made me think that maybe I'm doing something wrong.

After speaking to few experts on here, this is what I did that made a huge difference to the heating issue generally and battery.

before you start, write down all the apps you need or currently using.

1. factory reset
2. set up as a new phone
3. don't use samsung switch to restore anything.
4. use Google and samsung account to restore contacts, calendar and messages only. Expect the phone to heat up as it is doing along here. this is normal. DO NOT TRANSFER OLD APPS SETTINGS or HOME SETTINGS (this is the main cause of heating). something from the old setting was conflicting with the new phone.
5. wipe cache partition (see YouTube video to guide you to do this).
6. download all your apps directly from Play store and Galaxy store and set them up as new apps.
By the way, apparently Chrome is one app that loves to drain battery. not enormously but try to avoid it. but if u have like me, put it on sleep n use it when u need to.
After that just use the phone as u would normally for about a week so that the new phone can learn the pattern of ur usage. this is important and be patient. the difference will show after a week. ur battery performance mainly.

I did all that on when I received my 3rd replacement from EE around the 9th of February. I hadn't received the February update back then either as network phones get it later than samsung customers but I noticed that how I set up the phone had made a difference. it didn't heat up when I was just browsing or playing a game or had like 5 apps running in the background etc. the highest it ever does heat upto is around 42-44° when I am using the phone to tether and camera app at the same time. I did a test few days ago where I had about 15 apps open in the background and was using the camera vigorously with the Directors view continuously for 10mins. After 8mins it went up to 40°- 42° and no problem. but when I was tethering it went up to 44° using the camera within 5mins. but that is expected when u tether.

bow had I done this with the 1stv2 phones that I returned, I think I would never have returned them. but it was a natural reaction. I guess with any new phone it's expected and the way technology is advancing so fast. and samsung is no exception. considering what they have packed in this phone, it's pioneering. I'm still learning new even now, what this phone can do in every department. my batter6vusage has improved too. I recommend downloading the new GALAXY LABS app and go into thermal setting and turn down the threshold.

hope this helps.

Screenshot_20210301-125834_Device care_22060.jpg

Screenshot_20210217-230112_Device care_20939.jpg

Screenshot_20210227-222704_Thermal Guardian_21938.jpg

Screenshot_20210219-154920_Software update_21050.jpg

KieranSloan
Apprentice
Options
I'll give that a go cheers very frustrating mate
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
wicked detailed reply lad 👦👌 I did say "everyone almost" just FYI!

I purchased 1 on a EE contract and 2 upfront full cost.

I've done eventing including setting them all up new without backups etc and whilst a very minor improvement on battery the phones now have far worse oberhwarknf issues with the update, but it does hold 10%more battery without update from Feb compared the others.

my issues runs through my 3x 512gb' and a total of 8 friends devices too ranging 256gb to 512gb versions of the ultra as well

samsung have acknowledged the problem, and they do so too if you contact them, but even after telling me that a that a further update comes in March hopefully. she also suggested I should just take all 3 back to the 3 different retailers I purchased them from as ira considered faulty and concerning

nothing regarding all these battery and overheating issues make sense unless it's the software or the exynoss chip. I know 2 people with US variant on SD888 and they have minor problems that got fixed in 3.1. odd if you ask me.

hoping it's software and it's fixed for those of with problems who have done anything possible to make it work:)

thanks for a great detailed post, I do those myself usually and it's great for others to see this kind of detail on a post 👍

if I could give you a badge I would;)
Gionike
Voyager
Options
lol thank you. I learned from others on here to be honest. and not everyone seems to have the same problems, although similar, or same stories either. it's really odd but I guess with such a phone that offers so much, you're bound to get different experiences. you know what u mean? and its also strange what samsung told you cos I got a different reply from them. they told me to get it replaced by EE cos its a quicker solution, EE replaces phone to your door the next day, whereas samsung can only arrange a repair which can leave u without a phone potentially for 2 weeks. they never agreed that there was an issue with the phone though after doing the troubleshooting. anyhow, if this forum wasn't here things would be much worse.
0 Likes
Gionike
Voyager
Options
it is, but it can be fun too lol. u can learn alot from here, I tell u that. there's alot u can fiddle around with samsung s21 ultra. the customization on this is incredible. sometimes I get lost in it. its mind blowing
Gionike
Voyager
Options
I remember back in the day when the only thing u can customise on a phone was the case ie Nokia 3210 lol showing my age now