Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimised charging

(Topic created on: 09-03-2021 08:58 AM)
Bizzyman
Explorer
Options
Samsung, please implement a smart charging feature like iphone and many androids where the phone mostly only charges to 80% to keep battery health good, and charges to 100% only overnight.
13 REPLIES 13
ciaoarif
Pioneer
Options

I know what you mean. I just ordered these... https://chargie.org/. I'll let you know how they are.

0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
to be fair the apple one only works if you charge it at the same time every night, if your too far out the time frame it doesn't work and it takes weeks to learn, your best off just getting a smart plug and set it to charge about 3 or 4am, I used to do that but because I change every 12 months I just leave it on a wireless charger all night
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I've been fast charging all my high end phones to 100% for nearly 3 years every day (Starting with 40w on my Mate 20 Pro) without any discernable degradation to battery life. Haven't seen one benefit to slow charging.
0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
It's not something you would notice without actually gathering data and performing it as a controlled experiment.

The act of charging to 100% itself, isn't what's most damaging to the battery. Its being kept as 100% that's the issue.
Say you go to bed at 9pm, your phone might be fully charged by 10pm, and until you wake up at say 7am, its been at 100%. Think of it like a balloon blown up to the max then kept fully blown up, it causes stress keeping the battery at such a high voltage for so long, and reduces its number of charge cycles.

More details can be found here: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-note10-series/tips-to-prolong-battery-life-and-battery-he...
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
First thing, you answered the point in your first statement, "it's not something you would notice" which is exactly it. If the degradation was that bad, it should be noticeable. In my usage after about 30 months, it isn't.

Second point about trickle charging isn't quite accurate. If the phone has excessive usage/drain while idle and is being trickle charged, it will degrade the battery. A healthy operating phone left on standby overnight will not see any noticeable degradation, it all comes down to power drain whilst being trickle charged. My mate 20 Pro has probably spent more of its lifespan now under a charging state than not, it has not degraded to a point where its noticeably worse than when I first had it. it can last a full days use, maybe 2 light usage which isn't any different from when I first had it. I don't need to record exact statistical data other than knowing my phones usage time and SoT times to around an hours degree. The phone hasn't lost its endurance is my experience (in case you are wondering I do check these things with all my phones).
0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
Don't know where you're getting your information from, but all the data and studies are out there and easily accessible. And all the information about lithium battery chemistry is out there and accessible. And every single one says that maintaining the maximum voltage, aka a 100% charge degrades the battery. Enough so that charging only to 75% can double the battery life, and charging to 85% can extend it by 50%.

So it doesn't matter what you and your mate experience, anecdotal evidence is no substitute to all the literature out there, all of which say your information is wrong. You're one man trying to argue against 100s if not 1000s of peer reviewed articles, and engineers designing batteries and devices, all because of what you experienced with your phone, whilst collecting absolutely 0 data, conducting 0 studies, and 0 research.

A simple Google search goes along way... Or check out the link i sent in my first reply. Lots of information there on battery health, based on actual lithium battery science, and studies. Not peoples opinions and personal experiences.
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
The problem is your response is in general terms. You understand that Samsung as do many other manufacturers have far more intelligent charging mechanisms within their batteries which prevent you from actually charging a battery to 100% (yes thats right 100% on your phone IS NOT 100% of the batteries actual limit). These are safeguards to prevent the failures and problem in which your generalised assumptions of lithium ion batteries suffer (I never questioned your information, but it's actual relevancy to modern smartphone batteries).

I don't care if you believe my anecdotal experience but I know what I've experienced and I'll share it with others however I see fit.
0 Likes
_Jonno
Voyager
Options
honestly phone manufacturers should just make phone batteries 20 percent bigger than advertised or advertise their batteries having 20 percent less capacity and make it a hardware limitation to only charge to 80% and show 100% charge

idk if that makes sense but to me it's the best way to care for the battery's overall capacity

costumers get great overall battery life without feeling like they're not getting their full battery capacity.
0 Likes
Bizzyman
Explorer
Options
This is how most electric cars work, they should at least give us the option to only charge to 80% if we wanted. The extra 20% charge slaughters the battery life
0 Likes