Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No SD Card?

(Topic created on: 25-01-2021 06:20 PM)
Weatherman
Navigator
Options

Have I understood correctly that with the S21 Ultra you can not add an SD card? If true that's a pity

22 REPLIES 22
Solution
deedpool
Pioneer
Options
yeah that's correct. it's a shame.
Weatherman
Navigator
Options

It sure is. They must be saving something up for the S22 Ultra 🙂

Solution
deedpool
Pioneer
Options
I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come back to be honest. iv just pre-order mine and now have no use for my card. 😔
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Yes SD cards officially removed from the S21 series,  I think the  focus increasingly moving to Cloud services so remains to be seen if there will be a rethink in the future.  Personally have not used an SD card on a mobile for a little while,  though they obviously have their fans.   https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/01/14/samsung-ditches-microsd-card-slot-for-galaxy-s21-series/#:~... 

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/14/22230868/samsung-galaxy-s21-storage-microsd-support-slot 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Weatherman
Navigator
Options

It will be interesting to experience the integration with One Drive. I backup to One Drive automatically with my S20 Ultra already, so once I get my S21 Ultra I will be able to judge how good this integration is and its advantages. Maybe we will not need SD Cards in the future, but my worry is where you do not have great mobile signal ie many lovely places. High res video cant half eat up 256M or even 512M !

oldman1972
Explorer
Options
I guess the trade off with using one drive, is the monthly charge... 5GB free space as default... but 1TB of space at a cost of £5.99 a month.

Screenshot_20210125-163651_OneDrive.jpg

Weatherman
Navigator
Options

You are right, there is a cost to any good quality cloud storage. I am a Microsoft 365 user so get my 1TB as part of my package. You also have to remember that although Google, MS and so on give you 99.99% on the availability of their service they do not give any grantee on your data. It is your responsibility to back up your One Drive / Google Drive and so on to another place. If you value your photos and videos you have to back them up and this takes time and costs money. I guess you can connect your phone using USB to your PC and store on a NAS or other external storage USB stick and so on

oldman1972
Explorer
Options
...although upon checking further there is a one drive only option of 100GB for £1.99 per month.

SmartSelect_20210125-183712_Samsung Internet_34588.jpg

oldman1972
Explorer
Options
Perhaps another viable cloud option is the Google drive.

I think I will await my s21 ultra and see which has the most seamless integration...

I have bought the 512GB version, so I am hoping storage won't be an option. I think I would like to offload photos and videos from time to time though.

Screenshot_20210125-190920_Drive.jpg