Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO SD Card slot - possible solution?

(Topic created on: 08-03-2021 07:32 PM)
bluecat1
First Poster
Options

Hi

Im reading that some flagship devices are no longer shipping with SD Slots and are opting to greater onboard storage.

As a user of the SD slot to store customised ringtones and movies, it's very useful to have them stored off-device if, and when, you have to conduct a factory reset.

Not having this off-device solution means that any factory reset wipes everything off - a complete nightmare!

So my question today is that with the advent of greater onboard storage, would it be possible to partition said storage, thus allowing the segregation of content in a similar way to an sdcard and therefore preventing the loss and inconvenience caused by a factory reset?

Thanks

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
Bwillg
Navigator
Options
I was also bit worried about the no sd slot. but I have the s21 and tbh the internal storage is decent and the os does not hog loads. also i have one drive and when you set it all up the s21 and one drive integrate very well. so is possible to use the onedrive as additional storage in cloud. for example you can set for your photos to upload and back up to one drive, and whilst you can still access your photos in normal way in gallery, they are actually stored in cloud and only download when u want them so frees up more space.
samsung seems to have thought about the concern of no so slot by integrating cloud as the new method.
hope that helps
0 Likes
bluecat1
First Poster
Options
Great to hear of your first hand experience, thank you

But how would I go about accessing my movies if I'm sitting on a aeroplane, a 3 hour flight (one day...) when it has no Internet
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Many ways:

1 USB C SD Card reader

2 USB C thumb drive

3 Portable hard drive to hold potentially 4x or more than any SD Card at a fraction of the price
0 Likes
bluecat1
First Poster
Options
That's an interesting idea too, thank you
0 Likes
bluecat1
First Poster
Options
Am I right to think that you can't partition the storage on the phone then?
0 Likes
bluecat1
First Poster
Options
Here's a thought - as onboard storage is getting as big as SSDs, would it be useful if the Samsung My Files App gave users the ability to customise the storage space more effectively and allow the user to create and manage partitions - introduce a partition manager to manage virtual drives or virtual sd card slots in this instance?

Anyone from Samsung wish to consider this??
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
It has one option for external storage via USB C. What would be the point? You're only ever going to connect one storage device at a time. Android has less convolution than say a Windows PC in terms of file and drive management, it's a phone after all.
0 Likes
bluecat1
First Poster
Options
Interesting view.
If you partitioned the storage then what you have on a stick would be stored internally without the need of a stick
For me, I'm looking for ways to reduce clutter and gadgets which I have to carry with me. I do appreciate your approach offers a solution, however with the power of flagship phones and the built-in storage available, an additional option in Samsung My Files app to allow greater freedom to manage storage with partitions etc could only be a good thing. And sometimes it's not for everyone, you're right that not everyone is bothered or interested, but it would be nice to be offered the creative choice should you wish to do so if you really miss an sd card ring-fencing option.
It could even be offered as part of Samsung DeX environment as part of the offering of "Push the boundaries of your Galaxy with Samsung DeX"
0 Likes
Blady007
First Poster
Options

Yes. Very good idea. Mayby old CD ROM and power Bank connected to my New s21 ultra with some special cables and adpters????

Oh. And mayby special transport trolley?

0 Likes