Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No individual app notification sounds?

(Topic created on: 17-02-2021 07:36 AM)
Elizabeth M
Apprentice
Options

Just upgraded from an s7 (yay!) and I'm having trouble finding g where/how to have different notification sounds for different apps.

I use my phone a lot for work & I need to be able to differentiate between text messages and other notifications.

62 REPLIES 62
DVL83
Explorer
Options
You have to change the notification sound within the settings of the relevant app itself.
0 Likes
Elizabeth M
Apprentice
Options

That's what I thought too. Not an option. The *only* notification sound option I can find anywhere is under general notification settings & it's for all of them. 

Screenshot_20210201-155647_Settings.jpg

DVL83
Explorer
Options
Just an example but I use WhatsApp and if you go into the settings on Whatsapp and select 'notifications', you can change the notification sound.
In the phones settings it will only let you change the generic notification sound which will be the default for all notifications unless you override them in the messaging apps settings.
Is there a particular messaging service you're trying to change the sound for?
Elizabeth M
Apprentice
Options

Just the standard messages app for regular text messages. The ss in my last reply was the notification settings from that specific app. Apparently different sounds aren't an option in that app anymore? 

DVL83
Explorer
Options
Open the messages app, press the 3 vertical dots, go to settings, select notifications, press "General notifications" and you'll see an option to change the notification sound 👍🏻

Screenshot_20210201-212124_Settings.jpg

Elizabeth M
Apprentice
Options

Ok, I feel like an *****. I tried that before & all it did was turn off that option. Guess I tapped too close to the toggle. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Thank you! 

DVL83
Explorer
Options
LOL glad you finally sorted it 😁
bluegruntfuttoc
Explorer
Options
and suddenly this morning things seems to be working, no firmware update. I'll post if the problem returns, but I think it was after I updated the apps in the galaxy store.
0 Likes
ReelLifePhotos
First Poster
Options
It only works if the individual app has its own inbuilt setting to differential the notification sound. Sadly neither Airbnb nor Facebook Business nor Google Business Pages have this function. My HTC U11 + ahead the option in App notifications, but this new Samsung doesn't at all!!!!
0 Likes