Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No charger! Why all the hate? I'll tell you why!

(Topic created on: 16-02-2021 08:39 AM)
Aaron J
Journeyman
Options

So I posted a reply to a thread earlier about the lack of charger and headphones in the Galaxy S21 series where.  Lots of people were complaining about the lack of a charger in the box 📦 and thought it deserved it's own post.

Now just because Apple do something doesn't automatically make it a good thing after all they've had their fair share of rubbish ideas.  That said, this isn't one of th em but Samsung could have taken this concept a step further.

Things people need to realise are that they're not being hoodwinked in to buying a charger or swindled out of more money than they would have shelled out last year.  The msrp/rrp has been reduced by around £30 vs the 4g S20 and around £130 vs the 5g S20.  You can replace the missing accessories for less than that and you can grab a decent case and screen protector to boot.

The only thing I think Samsung has gotten wrong with the "carbon copy" of Apple's strategy is not following through with a full fat box or an accessory box that can be bought alongside a new phone to include these essentials.  Not every phone purchase is for an existing customer and many existing customers will privately sell their old phones with the charger when they upgrade.  Unless everyone who buys one of these phones knows they need to consider buying a charger or earbuds then some of them are going to be upset 😡

The benefit of this new package is the reduction of the product's total carbon footprint 👣 not only because there is less packaging waste and unwanted chargers and earbuds ending up in landfill but the reduced volume of the box increases the shipping density (more units in the same space).

4 REPLIES 4
Risky24
Helping Hand
Options
In my opinion the execution of this is very much flawed. As you stated, most people sell their old phones along with the charger.
Someone who is moving from an iPhone would most likely not have a suitable charger.
Someone who is buying a smartphone for the 1st time will most likely not have a suitable charger. Samsung should have given an option to include a charger with your order in case you needed one whether that was for a small extra fee or a free option. That way they could have packaged it in the same delivery package as your phone (it doesn't have to be in the box) as I'm sure a charger would easily fit without increasing the size.
As it stands right now anyone needing a charger would need to order one which comes in additional packaging (more than if it were in the box or delivery package) which nullifies their narrative of reducing waste. The removal of earphones is understandable as it's not essential but a charger is.
EatMoreBread
Student
Options
The extra work needed to ship the other accessories adds to the pollution. Extra plastic for the separated accessories, it has to be shipped separately and that isn't carbon neutral. This was Samsung's way to profit. Smaller boxes mean more on a pallet. In turn more can be shipped. The heavier pallets adds weight which reduces efficiency. Samsung are liars.
Aaron J
Journeyman
Options

Carbon neutrality is often misunderstood.  I deal with shipping on a daily basis and although the efficiency of shipping changes based on weight you have to consider the total number of devices shipped wont increase proportionately to the space saved.

The majority of these phones are manufactured in Brazil, Indonesia, Korea and Vietnam and need a substantial investment in transport to serve the various countries they are sold in.  If you're reducing the total volume and weight by 20% by reducing the packaging and the amount of stuff in the box then you'd need to also increase the quantity shipped to get back to the original Carbon footprint.  Its a net saving which is actually good for the environment.

0 Likes
GB612
First Poster
Options

If genuine carbon footprint reduction is on Samsung's agenda, all power to you, but having just bought a Galaxy A15 with no warning of the lack of wall charger, I'm now ordering one separately, with all the packaging and travel miles associated with that. Samsung, at least make it VERY obvious for busy people in your marketing and packaging. I would have looked to buy a wall charger while in store had I known.

0 Likes