Did you mean: 

Original topic:

No 5G mmwave in exynos s21 ultra 5G

(Topic created on: 18-03-2021 04:36 PM)
IneptxPython
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S21 Series
Why is it that I bought the s21 ultra 5G to not have any 5G mmwave / ultra wide bands in my device? Yet still payed the premium for it. Don't get me wrong the phone is still excellent, its just a little annoying since I like technology and the reason I bought the s21 ultra is because its got the best specs / tech, and now finding out that none of the future developments with these technologies will not work with my phone its kinda frustrating.

Edit -
The Ultra Wide Band I belive is in the exynos version but the mmwave is not, the uk has not gave the go ahead for mmwave yet but it is missing from the device so it will not be able to take advantage of it in the future which I want to keep it for.
51 REPLIES 51
Adrian_Kilgour
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy S21 Series
It has 5G, what are you talking about?
0 Likes
IneptxPython
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S21 Series
it does not have ultra wide bands in the phone which are used for 5G
0 Likes
Adrian_Kilgour
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy S21 Series
I live in an area with 5G and it works just fine.
BAFlyer
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S21 Series
Have you checked it is set for 5G in Settings - Mobile Networks - Network Mode. When I first turned on my phone this setting was LTE/3G/2G for some reason. Invoking some battery saving modes also turns off the 5G mode.
danmidd
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S21 Series
we have limited 5g in our area. .. I found the signal at the weekend when out and can definitely confirm the ultra has 5g , do you have a 5g sin in the phone and it enabled with your provider
AshS21
Black Belt 
Options
Galaxy S21 Series
think he's meaning the faster one, sub 6 is the standard which is slower but travels further and through walls mmwave is the other one which doesn't travel far or through walls but if you can get a mmwave signal the Internet speed is rapid, mmwave is not very widespread in the UK so don't see it as an issue to be honest but its a fair point to make, I use an S21U and still on a 4G plan 5G is the most minimal importance to me
WelshPaul
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy S21 Series

Yea they stripped out the ultra wide band 5g hardware in European countries and gave us poor mans 5G instead all with no reduction in the retail price. Wasn't this was covered on JerryRigEverything tear down?

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung phone user.
Current Devices:

Samsung S21 Ultra 5G 256Gb > Model: SM-G998B/DS.
Samsung Galaxy Watch4 Classic > Model: SM-R890NZSAEUA.
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 > Model: SM-R177NZKAEUA.

Samsung One Ui 3.1 / Android 11.
AshS21
Black Belt 
Options
Galaxy S21 Series
yea to be honest I really don't see what the fuss is about 4G+ is fine my home Internet is down this evening, using 4G+ on my phone and everything is lighting fast
0 Likes
AshS21
Black Belt 
Options
Galaxy S21 Series
I also think iphone did this too with the 12, to be honest though all phones are becoming a con these days, I bought a s21U just to get decent battery but now the a72 has come out which has a charger and a 5000 mah battery lol