Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My rant to Samsung

(Topic created on: 25-02-2021 09:35 AM)
Notamech
Voyager
Options
Samsung if you are listening I have a few words of advice for you based on my recent experience.

Personally I feel you as a company are going down the wrong path by blindly following apple. I have been a long time Samsung user and have always chosen the brand as it offered a premium experience, much like Apple, with the key difference being you offered me choice as a consumer.

I currently own a note 9 and that phone was a 0 compromise phone which offered me everything I could want in a phone back then. A stylus, a headphone jack, an sd card slot, cameras that actually took great photos heck even a charger. Remember those?

But I recently purchased an S21U and besides quality issues with the camera, it felt pretty much like a downgrade to me. You've taken away all the choice you once offered me as a consumer, blindly following the likes of Apple by removing the headphone jack then the sd card slot and the charger from the box. In doing so you have made yourself undifferentiated from other companies. You want to charge me £1300 for an S21U but after making me compromise on the things mentioned above. To to add insult to injury you give me a phone with an exynos chip with cameras that underperforms vs what my peers get in the US. Why then should one buy a Samsung vs a one plus or a xiaomi? The mi11 offers an almost similar experience to your S21U for nearly half the price. So what am I, as a consumer, paying you more for? Your marketing campaigns? I don't see any differentiation anymore in your products vs a budget brand. In fact the experience I had was so bad I sent the S21U back. 

In blindly copying apple I am sure you have made a ton of profit saving on parts and I'm sure you laugh at us suckers on your way to the bank. But what you forget is that apple have an ecosystem in place that keeps people tethered to the brand while you don't. So jokes on you. There are only so many compromises one can make before the value proposition starts to pinch. Keep this up and you are going to lose in the long run, you will be the next Nokia. You used to be the anti apple, an alternative for people who didn't want to buy apple now you're a joke. You poke fun at Apple then copy them blindly.. Haha 

People like me who do not see a difference in your products vs products from a brand like Xiaomi have already started to make a switch in our households. I have stopped using Samsung pay, Samsung notes and other similar Samsung services in order to make it easier for me to make the switch in a few months time. You do realise that with android phones switching is much easier thanks to Google? This switch will also extend to my wife my parents and anyone else who asks me for a recommendation. You have made it incredibly hard to recommend a Samsung phone today. Previously I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Samsung because I knew your phones were the best, 0 compromise and worth the extra money. But that isn't the case anymore. 

My advice to you is to be different, be the innovative pioneering brand that we have come to know. Embrace your differentness rather than blindly copying apple. Offer me choice again. I wouldn't mind paying £1300 for your flagship if it gave me choice again. Bring back the headphone jack, sd card and ship your phones with a charger. If not, I am sure me and several other loyal customers have no real reason to pay you for what we can get elsewhere for half the price. I am sure I cant be the only one feeling this way and many here echo this sentiment. 

59 REPLIES 59
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
yea I have put it on now and will leave it on its really nice its like having a new processor in the phone its really fluid, yea to be honest I have chargers at home and my work is mainly based traveling in the car so I have power there and for holidays and camping I have a samsung battery pack so I suppose battery doesn't matter I just think charging it loads can't be good but then I never keep a phone more than 2 years
0 Likes
Notamech
Voyager
Options
Exactly. Charging it too much isn't good indeed. But if you're going to do away with the phone in 2 years time it shouldn't matter as for those 2 years you probably have warranty in case the battery swells.
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
yea well the latest date I will be doing away with this one is March next year which would make it less than 18 months old so I don't think I got much to worry about and hopefully the s22 will have a bit better battery, suppose it doesn't help 120hz is fixed on this one
0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
oh and by the way speaking of deals I paid £550 for this phone on a black Friday deal that's another thing to add to the samsung pro list, discounts
Notamech
Voyager
Options
That's a good price indeed. And that's exactly why buying the S21U does not make sense at the current price. If it was for 800 it would be fine with the compromises. Also as you've experienced Samsung prices fall imagine how someone who paid the full price would feel when they see the same phone heavily discounted a few months later. I feel like those buying the S21U should look on ebay or elsewhere where they can get it used/new for a heavy discount versus buying from Samsung at full price.
0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
exactly I would only preorder the standard one as the trade in is so good but I would never buy the ultra at launch, the ultra is for camera people, I hardly ever use the camera, the only true reason I would buy the ultra is for the adaptive refresh rate and bigger battery but to be honest I bet the battery is c r a p on that too, also since I have turned 120hz on I have noticed a massive increase in power consumption 🤣 still going to use it though
Notamech
Voyager
Options
Yeah. Good call. I made the mistake of preordering the ultra. To be fair I bought it only for the camera and screen I couldn't care less about processing power gpu etc as those have been good enough for me for the past few years. But the cameras turned out to be a major disappointment on my exynos variant the images in indoor lighting were noisy and soft not crisp and sharp like from the note 9 but the dynamic range is definitely better. People say its a software issue but when paying so much expectations are high. Anyway I see the 256 gb variant in ebay for 8-900 at that price it isn't bad but I'll probably wait for next year's phone unless I get one at a real bargain price on ebay then might just snap it up.
0 Likes
Snapper99
Voyager
Options

Pretty much sums it up....

Current Phone S23 Ultra (1TB)
0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
yea the thing about samsung, I have never paid full price, I think I will wait till the s22 but maybe step up to the plus model to help with my battery needs. I think the ultra just have too much crammed in to be honest having said that I think next year's ultra will be something special
0 Likes
Notamech
Voyager
Options
https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/xiaomi/155862-xiaomi-mi-11-ultra-first-to-get-samsung-s-new-... looks like xiaomi will get the latest Samsung camera sensor this year.
0 Likes