Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Media Storage consumes a lot of data

(Topic created on: 03-04-2021 01:39 PM)
Libb
MegaStar
Options

Hi, I realized that a Media Storage app consumes a lot of data - almost 70GB!

Screenshot_20210403-143446_Settings.jpg

I have no idea, what exactly it is. I googled and it should be some new system how to work with storage for applications but... which is inside, which application uses it so much and how can I reduce the amount of consumed data? I have a lot of pictures stored in the storage but they are in different folder:

Screenshot_20210403-143321_DiskUsage.jpg

I tried wiping system cache, didn't help. Any idea?

Xiaomi 14 Ultra White | Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 256GB
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro | Samsung Galaxy Buds / Buds2 / Buds2 Pro

Go to solution
26 REPLIES 26
Libb
MegaStar
Options

It looks like it was only wrong visualization

0 Likes
Solution
jorjor__
Apprentice
Options

Sorry Lib, I don't think  it was only wrong visualization.... because it is displayed the same with diferents apps. Are all the apps wrong? I don't think so....

With DIskUsage I have 52.6 GB of Media Storage (almacenamiento multimedia in spanish):

Members_4jVQRnY_0-1652883199789.png

But with another app this size is the same: with Storage Analyser, I have the same size 52.6 GB for the Media Storage:

Members_4jVQRnY_1-1652885619636.png

Each time I record a video, the DCIM and the Media Storage (com.google.android.providers.media.module) are increased with the same size. 

Each media file is allocated twice!!

Can anyone please help me to erase the Media Storage? The buttons for deleting data and cache are deactivated (in grey):

Members_4jVQRnY_3-1652891126324.png

I have a S21 of 128 GB but really I only can use 64 GB and I can not use an external sd card.... There are few Gigas for me. 

Libb
MegaStar
Options

I agree. Is it an old application so the visualisation may be wrong.

0 Likes
jorjor__
Apprentice
Options

But the App Storage Analyzer is newer and the visualization is the same.

Anyway, the visualization is not important. The important thing is that each media file fills the double of its size in the mobile memory .

I hope anyone can help us.

Thrns
Apprentice
Options

I have the same problem, and with similar values in the media storage application. I recently downloaded a large number of video files (about 40gb) and compressed them into the phone's memory (Movies folder). Now I figure I have 128gb occupied, but that's because the media storage app weighs an extra 48gb!!Screenshot_20220522-215712_DiskUsage.jpg

jorjor__
Apprentice
Options

I wonder if  anyone from Samsung staff  is reading the problems we have with their mobiles. I suppose not because we will be many people... 😪

But does anybody know the contact of a person who can help us?

0 Likes
Oxygene
Journeyman
Options

Why it is still not resolved? Mine is 48GB already in size. My music and pics are another 50GB and my 128GB storage is in full..... 

Reveroph
Apprentice
Options

@Libb I am also seeing this issue, the media storage (listed as "other" in my storage, like others verified with diskstorage app) is taking up more than half of my overall used disk space. 

Screenshot_20220815-154838_My Files.jpg

0 Likes
Libb
MegaStar
Options

I think that we can close this thread as the tool I used is not perfect and displays some allocated space twice.

0 Likes
Reveroph
Apprentice
Options

I mean this isn't just a visualization issue with the tool, I am getting alerts on my S21 Ultra for space utilization, and if it were just the tool then it wouldn't be an issue but I have 4-5 tools that can check storage and it IS being used.