Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Media Storage consumes a lot of data

(Topic created on: 03-04-2021 01:39 PM)
Libb
MegaStar
Options

Hi, I realized that a Media Storage app consumes a lot of data - almost 70GB!

Screenshot_20210403-143446_Settings.jpg

I have no idea, what exactly it is. I googled and it should be some new system how to work with storage for applications but... which is inside, which application uses it so much and how can I reduce the amount of consumed data? I have a lot of pictures stored in the storage but they are in different folder:

Screenshot_20210403-143321_DiskUsage.jpg

I tried wiping system cache, didn't help. Any idea?

Xiaomi 14 Ultra White | Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 256GB
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro | Samsung Galaxy Buds / Buds2 / Buds2 Pro

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
jorjor__
Apprentice
Options

Sorry Lib, I don't think  it was only wrong visualization.... because it is displayed the same with diferents apps. Are all the apps wrong? I don't think so....

With DIskUsage I have 52.6 GB of Media Storage (almacenamiento multimedia in spanish):

Members_4jVQRnY_0-1652883199789.png

But with another app this size is the same: with Storage Analyser, I have the same size 52.6 GB for the Media Storage:

Members_4jVQRnY_1-1652885619636.png

Each time I record a video, the DCIM and the Media Storage (com.google.android.providers.media.module) are increased with the same size. 

Each media file is allocated twice!!

Can anyone please help me to erase the Media Storage? The buttons for deleting data and cache are deactivated (in grey):

Members_4jVQRnY_3-1652891126324.png

I have a S21 of 128 GB but really I only can use 64 GB and I can not use an external sd card.... There are few Gigas for me. 

View solution in context

26 REPLIES 26
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Media storage will just be a system app which monitors and reports all media data on your phone, ie camera video and photos, music, movies etc. You can't wipe it as it's an in built system app which isn't really taking much space. The 70GB I assume is an amalgamation of all your media files on the device.
0 Likes
Libb
MegaStar
Options

Maybe, but it is not possible to have allocated all picture twice! There must be an option to disable it...

Joeeye
Maestro
Options
As I said it's a system app which reports media usage. It is not allocating another 70GB. I'm unfamiliar with the space analyser you're using, but it's probably easier just checking the phones in built. The phone does have a fairly decent breakdown of storage allocation.

clipboard_image_1617472637852.jpg

0 Likes
CodyH
Voyager
Options
Thats a huge amount used is this for s21 phone?
Did try asking samsung about it.
0 Likes
Libb
MegaStar
Options

Unfortunetly, it's not correct.

Libb_0-1617475831425.pngLibb_1-1617476062125.png

Really, each media file is allocated twice 😞

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Did you replicate everything in your secure folder? If so, that's the reason why. Everything stored in secure folder is like having a second phone separate from the main phone.
0 Likes
Libb
MegaStar
Options

Secured Folder is included in "Other", then it matches. In the Secure Folder is too much files but the total size matches - 95GB.

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
If you duplicated everything in there from your main phone, that makes sense.
0 Likes
BespredeL
First Poster
Options

Hey! I have the same problem. How did you solve it? Can someone tell me how to solve this problem?

0 Likes