Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

is there an alternative to the S21 Ultra Camera app ?

(Topic created on: 11-12-2021 09:41 PM)
CamdenTommy
Apprentice
Options

I have been buying Sony phones for years, but I was offered a good deal on a Samsung S21 Ultra by my carrier, so I switched.  The S21 Ultra phone is OK in most respects, but I loathe, loathe, LOATHE the camera app.  It's slow, overly complicated, and worst of all it doesn't record about half of the pictures I take.  I sometimes use my old Sony Z1 phone's camera when I know I'm going to be taking pictures, but I don't want to be lugging two phones around all the time.   I looked in the Play store for an alternate camera app but I didn't see any alternatives that jumped out as being better.  I'm beginning to think it's a known problem and that's why my carrier was discounting the S21 Ultras.  But for now I'm stuck with the S21 (it's not even entirely paid for yet) so I'm wondering if there's a better camera app than the one that came with the camera.  Any ideas?         

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @CamdenTommy  whilst Samsung's camera app may not suit  everyone and there are quite a few modes/settings but in my view it is very effective.  Might need to spend of bit  of time experimenting, see some information here https://www.makeuseof.com/galaxy-s21-camera-app-tips/ 

However if turns out you are still not keen could look at a few alternatives here https://echoinnovateit.com/best-camera-apps-for-android/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

View solution in context

Solution
GingerSteve
Helping Hand
Options

Only thing is, if you use a third party app you will most likely lose all or most of the AI based extras.

I mean I have everything turned off, optimisation , auto hdr, suggestions, etc all turned off.

But I also use adobe lightroom so I can shoot in raw format and have a simplified camera experience , or a bit more complicated app would be open camera.

it's not really complicated but you have to activate a few options to be able to fully optimise things like noise reduction, etc

But on the samsung stock camera I use pro mode, so I can adjust highlights, shadows, contrast, saturation, etc

I don't really touch any other modes.

If you want to just try something for free without signing in to an account , then open camera is my only choice.

it's free, no ads, no sign up....don't like it just delete it

View solution in context

Solution
GalaxyA51user
Voyager
Options
If you want a better app for better pictures, try Expert RAW exclusively for S21 Ultra from Galaxy Store or modded Google Camera. Search for it on Google.

View solution in context

8 REPLIES 8
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You haven't mentioned what type of photos you are taking.

Have A look in the photo gallery here where lots of photos have been posted and to see mine click on my profile.

Might have to scroll down a bit .
Solution
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @CamdenTommy  whilst Samsung's camera app may not suit  everyone and there are quite a few modes/settings but in my view it is very effective.  Might need to spend of bit  of time experimenting, see some information here https://www.makeuseof.com/galaxy-s21-camera-app-tips/ 

However if turns out you are still not keen could look at a few alternatives here https://echoinnovateit.com/best-camera-apps-for-android/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

CamdenTommy
Apprentice
Options

If I want to craft my photos I have a couple of Samsung DSLR cameras.  I just use my phone camera for ad hoc photos and snapshots.  But the article looks great - Thanks, that's actually very helpful.  

0 Likes
Solution
GingerSteve
Helping Hand
Options

Only thing is, if you use a third party app you will most likely lose all or most of the AI based extras.

I mean I have everything turned off, optimisation , auto hdr, suggestions, etc all turned off.

But I also use adobe lightroom so I can shoot in raw format and have a simplified camera experience , or a bit more complicated app would be open camera.

it's not really complicated but you have to activate a few options to be able to fully optimise things like noise reduction, etc

But on the samsung stock camera I use pro mode, so I can adjust highlights, shadows, contrast, saturation, etc

I don't really touch any other modes.

If you want to just try something for free without signing in to an account , then open camera is my only choice.

it's free, no ads, no sign up....don't like it just delete it

Solution
GalaxyA51user
Voyager
Options
If you want a better app for better pictures, try Expert RAW exclusively for S21 Ultra from Galaxy Store or modded Google Camera. Search for it on Google.
Shakes1420
First Poster
Options

Is there an actual better app I can use?  Seriously best hardware with the worst focusing on the planet!!!  Just why?  I have been using an S9+ for a long time and it works beautifully.  I would still be using it if it was not for the 10 minute limit on HD videos.  I love the camera on the S21 Ultra, but I shoot lots of videos and pictures all the time with this phone and when I focus in and out, the lighting completely changes to where I can't even see what I am shooting or it gets darker than it should be.  You can't tell what lens it's using so you can't tell it to stop using that lens at night or in lower light conditions.  It ruins videos all the time with the focus which can't seem to focus on what I am clicking on.  Plus I can't focus on the right side of the camera because now that is where all these stupid on screen buttons show up.  The video also ALWAYS drifts away from what I am shooting when zoomed in closer and even at max.  Seriously this app is the worst.  Why can't I keep a steady video when using a tripod????   Videos just creep up and down all the time.  Horrible software and I hate this app so much.  I shoot pictures a lot of the time while I am shooting a video and zooming in and out is pretty much normal.  Please fix this app or allow 3rd party apps to use all of the hardware and have access to everything needed on the phone.  Seriously the issue with the hardware is Samsung is the ones running it.  I miss my pure android phone.  Please Samsung, let Google drive all your software because you are not very good at it.  

CamdenTommy
Apprentice
Options

I loathe the S21 Ultra camera app.  I'm going to go back to Sony when I buy my next phone.  

0 Likes
eniac83
First Poster
Options
S21 Ultra is a piece of ***** after updates. Lost focus in x1 up to x3. Now I have to hit phone to start focusing every time I want to take a picture.
0 Likes