Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

How To Save Battery When Using Map Apps?

(Topic created on: 09-05-2022 09:46 AM)
AfxTwn
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I go out walking/hiking a lot and often use map apps such as OS Maps and Viewranger/Outdoor Active. I need to frequently check my phone to make sure I am on the right path but noticed that having only this one app open, it really drains my battery.

Is there a way to save the battery when using apps like these? I know I can download some maps or portion of a map for offline use, would that help? I would still need to have GPS on presumably so it can track me while following the map. I would also like to listen to some music but I think that would make things worse so I didn't bother. When I last went on a day hike, I started with 100% battery in the morning and then some 8 hours later, it was down to 15% just from using OS Maps and taking the occasional photo so it's a good job I didn't listen to music as well. I am considering getting a separate MP3 player like a SanDisk Clip for this reason.

Any help with ways to save my battery would be a great help. Thanks.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
Solution
Starz12
Explorer
Options
I would make sure that you have all unnecessary apps from working in the background. With offline maps I don't think the GPS works in the same way. But constant WiFi, notifications ect do. When I'm in a car and using my Google maps I usual go on do not disturb mode and temporarily disable all unnecessary apps and notifications apart from the ones I need it wasn't to hear from, example family calling or texting ( which I would attend to once finished driving) I would use hand free Bluetooth headset fur casks. Certain shopping apps if expecting a delivery and all the rest that are not system related would be disabled. I found this does save a lot of battery. I do keep data on you never know this would be necessart in the case of an emergency then the services could find you. You could also try putting in your battery saver mode, but this does reduce the amount of apps available to you and changes your screen to greyscale depending on battery saver or battery saver ultra/+. I hope this gives you some ideas 💡 also take another spare battery if phone has this facility or a battery booster/ charger pack with you
AfxTwn
Apprentice
Options

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I'm looking at getting a separate GPS/satnav device purely for using when out walking and then I can just use my phone as normal and for listening to music. In the meantime I'll try disabling some background apps and try just using offline maps.

0 Likes