Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot - Network Security Key

(Topic created on: 27-01-2023 08:45 PM)
Members_3eq0dtK
First Poster
Options

Hi. In the UK, on O2 network.

Trying to use my phone (S21) as a hotspot for my laptop. Connected via USB cable. In connection settings I go to 'Mobile Hotspot and Tethering' > turn ON 'Mobile Hotspot' > turn on 'USB Tethering'. On my laptop, under Wi-Fi, I can then see my phone. When I select 'Connect', it asks me for a 'Network Security Key (NSK)'.

I have no idea what that is, it isn't anything I can find on my phone, it isn't my home Wi-Fi password. EVERY post I've read about it is incorrect. Does anyone actually know what the NSK is, and why I'm being asked to enter one?

S21-NSK.png

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
Members_3eq0dtK
First Poster
Options

OK, update.

I've just found out when you turn on 'Mobile Hotspot' you can can tap it again to open some additional options. In there is a PASSWORD (not a NSK). I tried that and it also didn't work. So, the issues persists.

S21-NSK-FAIL.png

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hi @Members_3eq0dtK ,

this look like the password set on your device to access the network. You can find this from the phone Settings> Connections> Mobile Hotspot and Tethering> Mobile Hotspot> Search for Set up Wi-Fi hotspot or similar. On that screen you will see an option to set the network name, security, password and network band.  You can change them or keep them as they are.

Members_3eq0dtK
First Poster
Options

Sorry, your answer makes no sense.

The fundamental idea of tethering is so that, for example, your laptop can use your phones network connection. 

0 Likes
Neo001
Legend
Options

When you enable usb tethering and connect to a laptop using USB  cable, it should not ask for any password. Connection should get directly established.

When you see it under WiFi,  then your mobile hotspot is on ( which is not required for usb tethering).

TessM
Mastermind
Options

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that this doesn't help. I was trying to guide you to get this sorted following the advise given by other users in post like this: Solved: Tethering hostpot network security key prompt? - Samsung Community - 2481488

I can also see that this is not available for some providers, have you checked with your network provider if they do offer this? More troubleshooting steps to make this work can be found here: Unable to tether a Galaxy phone to a computer using USB cable (samsung.com)

Members_3eq0dtK
First Poster
Options

Thanks, yes, I know it shouldn't ask, but it does. I don't get why.

0 Likes
Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
Why don't you just connect to your hotspot via WiFi, instead of using the USB connection?
Neo001
Legend
Options

That means you trying to connect with mobile hotspot and the Network security key is nothing but the password that you have set up for this hotspot.

For usb tethering, turn off Wi-Fi on your laptop. You should see the following symbol - 

20230127_215133.jpg

Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
Tut tut 🤣🤣
0 Likes