Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High idle cpu % and temperature.

(Topic created on: 10-02-2021 09:26 AM)
Losimagic
Explorer
Options

Trying to figure out if this is normal behaviour or not for my base S21 (UK Unlocked).

My S21 cpu never drops below 20% cpu usage at "idle", and the idle temp never dips below 30c. It also still gets quite hot whilst using the camera.

I have  installed the latest patch that came out a few days ago, and that did reduce the temperature whilst using the camera a little. I still see and feel temps in the mid 40s during and after camera use.

It's warm enough to make my fingers sweat.

I have just factory reset the device, and so far just installed the bare minimum of the apps I use, to see if that helps. Around 2 hours after the wipe, it's currently "idling" at around 34C and still 20% CPU - I realise it's still in the setup phase in the background.

I experience these temps with or without a case.

What are other peoples experiences?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
John19691969
Hotshot
Options
too many people around the world have same issue..just rung samsung to see where my refund is and is due this week , and even samsung customer services agent said so many people are returning the S21 series phone with same over heating problem ...even samsung customer service agent said he would not take the chance on it..they are sending returns reports to samsung top management and all are overheating reports this was said to me by samsung customer services agent on the phone he also said there not sure yet if hardware issue or software..To be fair I was shocked at the agent from Samsung admitting there is a problem..not just we've heard nothing about heating problem as you would normally get from them
Losimagic
Explorer
Options

I'm seeing a lot of reports too - just very hard to determine what's normal!
I think it's safer to assume if the device feels too warm, it probably is.

I'm also surprised to hear that even the CS agent said you'd be better off returning it!

How long ago did you return it? refunds should be instant, shouldn't they?! 

0 Likes
John19691969
Hotshot
Options
2nd Feb I returned takes upto 10 days to refund. I contacted samsumg today to chase refund and I chatted to the samsung agent about the S21 heating problem that's when he told me
0 Likes
Phil A
Pioneer
Options

This is around my idle temp, I'm not sure about CPU usage though, but for the camera it reaches around 40-42 after about 10 minutes of constant use 

Screenshot_20210209-164656_Ampere.jpg

Bt32
Voyager
Options
My device just doesn't get that warm. It idles around 25-30degC and with cam use about 35degC to 40degC after about 10min of Cam. That's the a s21U.
Bt32
Voyager
Options
s21U idling. FWIW, my OnePlus 8 Pro idles at about 33-38 so my s21U is cool to me.

Screenshot_20210208-203804_Cpu Monitor.jpg

Losimagic
Explorer
Options

Thanks for the replies. Mine seems to be idling 5 to 10c higher.

And I've just hit the last straw - took 28 photos over the course of around 15 minutes, opened Google Photos to see if it was backing up....

toohot.jpg

Samsung can have this back.

Annoyingly, there's no "return" option online with my account - guess I'll have to talk to someone.

0 Likes
adamlee
Big Cheese
Options
today my battery has drained really quick and warmed up easily and found my CPU has been running full power all day. restart seems to have solved for now but not sure what caused it and could be why soo many are experiencing over heating. Samsung need to take a look at this.

Screenshot_20210209-190714_Cpu Monitor.jpg

adamlee
Big Cheese
Options
don't see why they all need to be 100% When opening apps. crazy!!!!!!

Screenshot_20210210-092528_Cpu Monitor.jpg