Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with S21 connecting to Linux via USB

(Topic created on: 04-11-2022 11:54 AM)
LXJ
Student
Options

Hi, I have been struggling with connecting the phone to my Ubuntu computer (running on a MacBook Pro 2015).  Hope someone can help me please.

On the phone, I turned on "USB debugging" on developer options, and set "Transferring files" as default USB config.  But when I connect it to the computer via USB, it only connects as charging and there is no option for MTP.

I tried the same thing on my wife's S21 FE, and it behaves the same, so it appears not a problem of the phone.

I suspect that it might be due to the cables I use.  I tried with two USB cables.  One is now a few years old, a bit twisted but not damaged, that was supplied with a Huawei phone.  It works with the Huawei phone (running Android 9) for transferring data and USB debug.  There are 2 times (out of probably 10) when connected, the S21 showed me an option of MTP, but I didn't have time to check if I could actually transfer some data.  Then it doesn't work.  Another cable I have is just a couple months old, not twisted, bought at a small store for about $3, a decent cable.  It works with my Huawei phone for data transfer and debug, but it never worked with the S21 tried with 10 times.

So, if it's indeed a problem of the cable, then I am quite bewildered as what cable is really required by the S21?

The S21 is update to the latest system software running Android 12.

Or it could be some other problem.  Please help.  Thanks

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
LXJ
Student
Options

Thank you.  But these don't help with my problem.  My problem is that when I plug in the S21, there is no option on the phone to allows me to connect with MTP.  It shows only that it's charging.  I know if the phone allows a connection of MTP, then I can do the things you referenced (but I believe those things about connecting Android with Ubuntu are not necessary on my computer as it already can connect with other phones like Huawei via USB).

So my problem appears specifically related to connecting S21 (or S21 FE) with Ubuntu.  As a symptom, when I connect the USB, the S21 has two beeps (hope this makes some sense to you), and then shows charging.  As I mentioned before, if I get one beep, then it shows me the option with MTP.  But now, I only get two beeps.

0 Likes
LXJ
Student
Options

No solution?????

0 Likes