Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heavy battery drain on S21 Ultra

(Topic created on: 07-08-2021 07:19 PM)
Slizzered
Navigator
Options
Hi

I've been having some pretty bad battery drain on my S21 Ultra (nearly 2 weeks old), I fully charged my phone this morning and after some light usage I've dropped almost 40% with only 1 hour 40 minutes SOT. I know it's not a good indicator but keeping on track that would barely get me 4 and a half hours SOT from full. This was whilst I was at work and I do have a pretty bad mobile network signal there which I have to use, but surely it would not cause this much drain? 

I've optimised as much as i can without ruining the experience - most apps deep sleeping, FHD+ 120hz, syncing off, NFC and Bluetooth off, low screen brightness, 5g off, AOD off and etc.

Is there anything more I can do without turning 120hz off? 

10 REPLIES 10
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Weak mobile signal will always drain battery...
Can't you use WiFi at work?

The S21 Ultra is an amazing device and I would not restrict it features.

Make sure all apps both in Google and Samsung app stores are updated.

I personally keep all settings on Auto or Adaptive and easily get through the day with gaming and stuff.

All with 5g, 120hz, Bluetooth, wqhd etc.

No point taming the beast of a.phone. you paid top dollar for.

I would also mention to check your permissions for location and background battery if you have to. Especially for mobile connections.

Best of luck.
Slizzered
Navigator
Options
Unfortunately not, every PC is hooked up to an ethernet and WiFi has been disabled. The signal is really bad too, for example I tried downloading an app earlier and it was going at literal 4kbps. I may just try turning it off during the day if it's going to affect the battery life this much.

QHD+ I do miss and will likely turn back on, and you're right that I shouldn't optimise it this much, but then if I don't I doubt I'll get a full day worth of charge.

I'll check the permissions and see if I can disable anywhere there.

Thanks for the help :smiling-face:
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
This is my today's usage , although it's all on WiFi as was home.

As I said put everything on adaptive or auto and let the phone learn your usage patterns.

If you see my other posts under my user name. I am against SOT as a measure of battery life as it purely depends on what apps you are using and other stuff like if on mobile or WiFi. clipboard_image_1628276159507_1628276159507.jpg
0 Likes
Slizzered
Navigator
Options
Yeah that seems more like it. To be honest now I'm on WiFi it seems my battery is draining much slower. I mean I've lost 10% since I posted this and that's with fairly constant usage. SOT is something like 3 hours now and I'm still on 52%. Crazy how mobile data has that much of an impact.

At home all day tomorrow, so WiFi day and normal usage... we'll see how it goes. Just out of interest, what is your full charge length estimate? Mine is readying 1 day 6 hours.
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Again full charge length also works like SOT and you will see it fluctuate depending on usage.

Mine goes from 20hrs to 1 day and 3 hours.

I once binged on netflix for 9 hours and other stuff and got 11 hours 40 mins SOT.

But normal SOT can range from 5 hours to 8 hours depending on apps used.

Gaming , photos or videos are battery drainers.
Also social media apps and WhatsApp etc.

Netflix and stuff will give you more SOT I have noticed.

But average SOT would be 5 - 9 hours.
With mixture of WiFi nad good mobile signal.
0 Likes
Slizzered
Navigator
Options
Just thought I would update you again on the battery life situation, I took a Accubattery screenshot showing battery drain from 80% to around 42%, this is with WQHD+ and Bluetooth enabled all day unlike before, and on WiFi literally all day.

I'm now getting 3 hours 51 minutes SOT after using only 41% charge, and that's with heavy usage too.

Poor mobile Internet signal more than doubled my battery drain, that's actually insane.Screenshot_20210807-191626_AccuBattery.jpg
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Glad you have managed to sort it out 👍
Maybe change your.mobile provider in the future which has the best signal overall where you normally travel.
Michael3739
Journeyman
Options

Isn't it nice that Samsung One UI removed the ability to see what hardware components are causing battery drain? What an absolutely inaccurate and useless graph now.

0 Likes
Majorj0nny
Pathfinder
Options
Yeah I've been having terrible mobile signal problems myself recently and I have to switch to airplane mode and switch WiFi and BT back on as the constant on/off/on/off of the mobile network really drains the battery ! Try killing your mobile signal with airplane and switch WiFi back on manually and see if your battery drain is any better
0 Likes