Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

GPS issue after One UI 5 update

(Topic created on: 26-01-2023 02:44 PM)
MorineDaniel
Explorer
Options

After the One UI 5 update, my Galaxy S21 5G cannot find and connect to any GPS satellites. Navigation does not work. Google Location Accuracy helps sometimes but it doesn't work during car gps navigation. If I turn off Google Location Accuracy the phone cannot find any GPS signal.

I cleared phone's CACHE and even did a FACTORY RESET. The problem is still there.

12 REPLIES 12
nowdeleted
Big Cheese
Options
Have you cleared the cache?? I always clear it after an update.
0 Likes
MorineDaniel
Explorer
Options

Yes, I did. Not only did I clear the cache, but I also did the FACTORY RESET twice. The problem is still there.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@MorineDaniel: If the issue has persisted following a factory data reset, then please head to the Samsung Members app > Press and hold on the app icon > Diagnostics > Location accuracy. Does this test flag any issues, or return an 'Action required' message in the summary? 

In the meantime, if you have a case or cover on the phone, please try removing it temporarily to see if this helps. 

0 Likes
MorineDaniel
Explorer
Options

Samsung Members app requires Google Location Accuracy turned on. So the test does not return any errors. Still the GPS signal does not work while navigating and just shows a relative position based just on Google Location and not by the GPS. In addition, I have already tested it without a cover and the problem continues. 

0 Likes
zetan19
Apprentice
Options
Hey bud, did you had any success on this? I've been having the same issue both on google maps and Waze. Keeps on saying looking for gps. On the other hand used my mork iPhone and that worked fine on the same routes. Seems a bit like a letdown having a flagship but the gps doesn't when it should. (Mine is a S21 ultra 5G)
0 Likes
MorineDaniel
Explorer
Options

Yes, the gps is still unstable on my phone since the update to Android 13. I don't know why but forcing the switch from a 5G to 4G or 3G network sometimes makes GPS start working too (Settings > Connections > Mobile networks > Network mode). I don't know if Network mode has something to do with the GPS.

Anyway, we shouldn't have to do that to work something so basic on the smartphone as GPS. Another thing I noticed is that using some third party apps you can get more information or update your gps settings. I am using GPS Status & Toolbox. GPS Status & Toolbox – Apps no Google Play

Screenshot.png

0 Likes
Solution
MorineDaniel
Explorer
Options

Just sharing a possible solution I read:

1) Turn off GPS and Battery optimization.

2) Settings > Apps > Filter > Show system apps > Fused location > Force stop > Clear data.

3) Turn GPS on, wait a minute in a open area.

zetan19
Apprentice
Options
Thank you for that but I can't find fused location following your steps
0 Likes
MackemMagix
Apprentice
Options

After selecting Settings->Apps you should see an icon to the right of Your Apps...........
Tap it and you can select "Show system apps"

MackemMagix_0-1675165793757.png