Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Storage

(Topic created on: 01-03-2021 03:03 PM)
Animallover20
Navigator
Options
Hey everyone,  so I had an email from Google saying I've used about 10 gb of my 15 gb allowance and that is all across my Google things Photos/Gmail/ Drive 
I wasn't aware of this and never had this warning before.. 
I've always had my photos uploaded/Sync to Google photos automatically and never had to worry. 

It says I can upgrade to Google One for a fee each month. 

What is the best thing and way to be able to upload your photos to ? 
Thanks in advance ☺ 
0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22
Animallover20
Navigator
Options
yes I have Dropbox as well but use that for storing important things.. I am leaning towards Google One as well as its my main platform for everything 😀
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
haha! Great minds. I have a lifetime offer from an old samsung contract for 50gb on Dropbox and it's my main backup for important documents and affairs.

google is my go to for photo storage and backup though as I can avoid smart switch and running my new devices!
Animallover20
Navigator
Options
ah sounds like we're alike then lol .. I do need to make sure I have my photos backed up especially of my furbabies 😀😊
danmidd
Voyager
Options
I use Google one and Microsoft one drive which I get 1tb with as part of my office package
Animallover20
Navigator
Options
ah sounds like Google One is the one then 😊
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
For the best value overall I'd recommend Onedrive 1TB Family (up to 6 users, each 1tb). Though if you don't need lots of storage I'd recommend Google One 100gb, or at a stretch 200gb as I find the user experience better and the photo creations/editing quite good compared to Onedrive though if you can, pay annually so you only pay the equivalent of 10 months instead of 12. But if you want to download your photos from Google One at any point, don't use Google takeout. It's trash. Put every photo into an album (think there's a set size for single zip file download) and download each album directly from the website.

So my recommendation is extremely specific, it's limited to you having physical access to an argos store then transport, timing. stock and petience come into play. A few times a year Argos (in the UK at least) sells Microsoft 365 1TB Family (6 users, each 1TB) bundled with McAfee Total Protection (up to 10 devices) both for £39.99 a year or £3.33 a month. You can buy 5 maximum as that's the most you can stack to your account.

Presuming you live in the UK and have a nearby Argos store you 're able /willing to visit, start saving in increments of £40 up to £200 max. Then keep your eye on price alerts for the item. I used hotukdeals but the Argos website itself might work too for that. Weirdly they don't deliver it, you have to actually go collect it (pandemic or not). This could be a sales tactic to force you there to impulse buy, but, if you resist and share the cost with just 1 other person it's roughly the same price as the cheapest Google One monthly price but you get all the premium office apps, random deals (way better than Google One as I pay for both). During l lockdown I was given 3 months of photoshop and lightroom access for free, 3 months of creativelive access which I used for photography classes and something else. Because I already subscribe to photoshop and lightroom I added the 3 months onto my account and saved £29.97 instantly. Now with Samsung and Microsoft partnering it may become more seamless too. Also each user can have the office apps on their laptop and phone. McAfee Total is just a side bonus imo, you can also use it on your phone and laptop and it has dozens of free features which are well worth it such as a VPN, backup, battery boost, storage cleaner, find your phone etc, etc. But since it sells for £25 you could just sell it on ebay for £15 - £20. I just shared mine last month with my sis and we're good to 2026 now haha.

Oh yeah and as pointed out Amazon Prime Users can get free unlimited photo storage with amazon photos but have to pay £1.59 a month more if you want over 5gb of video storage. Also they won't offer free unlimited, full resolution forever so I'd be wary on relying solely on that. I can just picture some poor soul with 100tb of photos uploaded and are then given the bad news that 100tb will cost £99.99 a month unless they download it all.
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
haha I don't blame you one bit!! I got kids pics and my "zoo" pictures on there 😆
Animallover20
Navigator
Options
thanks for explanation, yeah I'll probably go for Google One, yes I do live in UK, didn't know Argos did that... thank you for that 😊
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Don't forget flickr gives 1000 photos free upload with a yahoo account.

and I believe if you use Norton Premium they give 75gb free as well.

Also if you want to go with Google One, download their Rewards App from the store and answer a few surveys they send you. you can around 10- 15 quid a year to pay towards the google on subscription.
It pays from 6p -30p per survey.
iamcool133
Pioneer
Options
try changing your settings in Google photos from store in original to high quality its unlimited storage and it only compresses photos over 16mp